The AggreGAYtor: October 15
Your daily dose of LGBTQIA news
By Brandon Watson,
12:30PM, Mon. Oct. 15, 2012
Katy Perry sells herself, Rufus Wainwright gets catty, and Michelle Bachmann cuts her family ties. You may already be the winner of today’s AggreGAYtor.
• Bryan Fischer learns the metric system.
• Katy Perry, a half-eaten cupcake decorated with melted crayon wax, auctions off a night at a gay bar.
• The Boy Scouts add new McCarthyism badge to their roster.
• A prick is causing all sorts of trouble in the gay porn industry.
• Meanwhile, a gay porn model Andre Barnett asks if we are ready for the presidential erection.
• Michelle Bachmann’s step sister is not going off the rails on her crazy train.
• The UCLA Film and Television Archives reassemble footage from rare 1919 gay film.
• Maryland Congressman Steny Hoyer regrets voting for DOMA.
• The American Family Association, perhaps still reeling from their recent embarrassment on America’s Best Dance Crew, lash out against anti-bullying day.
• The Baptist Church “asks” Virginia member church to leave domination after they ordained gay man. I’m sure the request was delivered on a beautifully engraved linen card scented of lilac and verbena. Or maybe a horse head. Hard to tell with Baptists.
• Speaking of homophobia in the church, Americans are not particularly fond of it.
• The US Census Bureau tries to end decades-old game of hide and seek. They just keep counting and counting but they never seem to find LGBTQ folk.
• Indiana Catholic school refuses to call transgender student by proper name.
• US Immigration deports Australia registered domestic partner of gay man.
• Westchester New York Police department is charged with hateration, holleratin’.
• The Broward Log Cabin Republican publish anti-Obama ad with photo of murdered Ambassador Chris Stevens. Some things are beyond snark; some things are just deeply shameful.
• Three injured in Coming Out Day attack inside Moscow gay club.
• Anti-marriage equality ads make debut in Washington State. The AggreGAYtor is disappointed that the commercials are not a “We Are the World” for the hate set with Victoria Jackson singing the Cyndi Lauper, parts. Bigots always miss the opportunity for camp.
• Facebook is outing University of Texas students.
• Rufus Wainwright makes a ruckus about Liza Minelli from ACL stage. Must have been the rain.
LGBTQIA HERSTORY CLUB: The fact that queer-positive books are still being challenged for “offensive content” oddly points to progress. They have to be on the shelves in the first place to be challenged. We can thank Barbara Gittings for that. Gittings was instrumental in starting the first gay caucus of any professional organization at the American Library Association. Seeing a lack of visibility for gays at the ALA, she staged a same-sex kissing booth at the Dallas convention, an act of bravery that still inspires activists today.
David Estlund, June 1, 2015
David Estlund, May 29, 2015
Sept. 15, 2017
Sept. 8, 2017
News, Bryan Fischer, Katy Perry, Boy Scouts, McCarthyism, Pornography Industry, 2012 Election, UCLA Film and Television Archives, Michelle Bachmann, Film History, Steny Hoyer, DOMA, American Family Association, Baptist Church, Bullying, Alabama, LGBTQ Parenting, US Census, Transphobia, Immigration