The anti-sex-toy former Burleson banker and big-time Gov. Rick Perry supporter Shanda Perkins‘ nomination to become a member of the Board of Pardons and Paroles was nixed by the Senate last week — and now Perkins’ is back at the Lege, lobbying Senators to reconsider their decision.
The rejection of Perkins nomination was a relief to criminal justice advocates who were appalled by the nomination of a partisan hack with absolutely no criminal justice experience to become a member of a board that is tasked, quite literally, with making life-and-death decisions. Perhaps Perkins’ only experience in criminal justice (aside from some prison ministering she’s apparently done) was her role in prompting the arrest of a woman she apparently didn’t care for, Joanne Webb, for hosting so-called “Passion Parties,” the sex toy equivalent of a Tupperware party, which supposedly violated obscenity law. The dustup in Burleson eventually ended, Webb’s arrest was deemed unconstitutional — as was Texas’ state ban on the sale of sex toys, which was finally axed last year.
Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, was joined by Sen. John Carona, R-Dallas, to block the nomination on the Senate floor. “I do not rise” against Perkins’ nomination “lightly,” Whitmire told his colleagues. “Simply put, members, this person is not qualified to sit on the Board of Pardons and Paroles,” he continued. “Members, this post demands qualifications.”
Former Rep. Bill Zedler, R-Arlington, who accompanied Perkins to the Senate on Monday as she looked for support among the 27 lawmakers who last week rejected her nomination, told the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram that he thinks Perkins has been the victim of “a lot of misinformation.” A Perry spokesman told the daily that he still supports Perkins’ nomination — but that’s unlikely to convince the members to change their votes.
Don’t let the door hit you, Shanda.
This article appears in May 15 • 2009.
