The St. James AMEC Culture Crossing celebrates a community in San Antonio with a unique monument full of joy and beauty.
Presence of the Past by artist Gordon Huether brings back the first African Methodist Episcopal Church in San Antonio using laser-cut white steel panels in designs inspired by African American freedom quilts. The memorial re-creates the church on the banks of San Pedro Creek in downtown as an open-air space wrapped in warmth with an inviting charm.

Next to it is the Culture Crossing Pavilion, a public space with a small stage shaded by a circular roof engraved with more quilt patterns and a poem by Andrea “Vocab” Sanderson, a former city poet laureate.
The road to this public park on the west side of downtown traversed 159 years from just after the Civil War to 2020 when workmen uncovered a cornerstone buried under a parking lot, and to June 19, 2026, when the historic and artistic site was unveiled to the public. The limestone block was part of the foundation of the St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church’s first sanctuary from 1873 to 1878. As the second-oldest AME church in Texas and the first in San Antonio, the congregation continues to be active in the community.

The foundation of the former church was discovered during work on the 2.2-mile San Pedro Creek Culture Park, San Antonio’s much quieter and more idyllic other river walk. The linear park was built for flood control and encompasses murals, gardens, and lighting displays with the best part north of Commerce Street parallel with Camaron Street.
The St. James AMEC Culture Crossing is at the corner of West Houston and Camaron streets sheltered from the setting sun by the historic Alameda Theater. The Institute of Texan Cultures is catty-corner to the park and Pinkerton’s Barbecue is a block away in Legacy Park.
1,820th in a series. Everywhere is a day trip from somewhere. Follow “Day Trips & Beyond,” a travel blog, at austinchronicle.com/day-trips.
This article appears in August 21 • 2026.



