How to Play Women's Roller Derby, Texas Rollergirls-Style (a Very Simple Guide)
2) Assemble two teams of up to 14 skaters. Make sure they all have pads, helmets, and mouth guards.
3) Each team puts four players on the start line. That's the pack: three blockers and one pivot, who controls the speed of the track. Behind the pack is the jammer, and she is the only one who can score points.
4) Get a timer: Intraleague bouts last for two 20-minute periods, interleague and tournament bouts for two 30-minute periods.
5) First whistle blow, the pack starts rolling. Second whistle, the jammers start.
6) The jammers must get through the pack once: After their first pass, they score a point for each blocker they pass, or five if they pass the entire pack and lap the other jammer (that's called a grand slam). It's the pack's job to stop them by blocking, either by getting in the way or by using their bodies as battering rams. Each jam lasts two minutes, unless one jammer gets lead jammer status by making it through the pack first with no penalties. The jammer can call the jam at any time.
7) Stay safe, and stay out of the penalty box.