The Travis County Civil Courthouse was constructed in 1930-31 by Page Bros. Architects, in the Moderne style – five floors with two top floors for the jail (since moved), with significant renovation in 1958, 1962, and 1964. In 2005, the Courthouse was named in honor of civil rights pioneer Heman Marion Sweatt, the first African-American student at University of Texas Law School.
Information is power. Support the free press, so we can support Austin. Support the Chronicle