Quote of the Week 326 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"If I'm relying on the state, I'm relying on a kick in the teeth."
– Ken Zarifis, president of AISD employee union Education Austin, casts gloom on any hopes of meaningful public school finance reform this session
"My grandmother used to say: Eat the meat, spit out the bones."
– Sheriff Sally Hernandez’s advice to women running for office during Tuesday’s Annie’s List training
"We hope that both the governor and the attorney general will seek treatment for an apparent problem with premature litigation."
– Thomas A. Saenz, president and general counsel of MALDEF, on the Texas suit against Austin and Travis County over SB 4
"We felt this was part of the healing process and reconciliation. Students should be with their peers."
– UT President Gregory Fenves, on restarting classes and campus events after Monday's attack
"If you've succeeded in anything, members, you've succeeded in terrifying an entire community."
– Rep. Rafael Anchia, D-Dallas, to House lawmakers who support Senate Bill 4
"Let's celebrate Tuesday by chilling out, taking a deep breath, rolling up our sleeves, and getting to work together." – Mayor Steve Adler, declaring “Austin Everybody Chill Out Day” in anticipation of the release of the CodeNEXT land use planning maps
"This is a matter of public integrity. To believe me, they need to see what I think."
– District Attorney Margaret Moore, discussing her office’s new Civil Rights Division at the Chronicle office on Tuesday
"We will batten down the hatches, but we will be the adults in the room."
– Judge Sarah Eckhardt during Tuesday's Commissioners Court upon learning of cutbacks in the state Senate's proposed budget
"Republicans bet on blitzkrieg and lost. ... This is a victory for the resistance, but the empire will strike back."
– U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett following the Republicans’ withdrawal of their proposed American Health Care Act
"The FBI, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government."
– FBI Director James Comey, Monday before the House Intelligence Committee