Quote of the Week 378 results
Have a suggestion for Quote of the Week? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the quote, who said it, in what context (if necessary), and your name, so that we can credit you if we choose yours.
"There are too many entrances and too many exits to our over 8,000 campuses in Texas."
– Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, blaming school shootings on the amount of doors, following last week's shooting at Santa Fe High School that left 10 dead
"Where are you???"
– Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir, following the “underwhelming” turnout for early voting on Monday (9,932 votes, including mail-in ballots, or 1.34% of registered voters). 4,060 residents voted on Tuesday.
"I'm not a losing campaign."
– HD 46 run-off candidate Sheryl Cole in response to
competitor Chito Vela calling her attack on his voting in the
2010 Republican primary the strategy of a "losing campaign"
"A hog in a silk waistcoat is still a hog."
– Judge James Graves Jr., in dissent of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals' decision to uphold a revised version of the Texas voter ID law
"It's 11:59 on the CodeNEXT clock, and I don't know what's been changed."
– Zoning & Platting Commission Chair Jolene Kiolbassa
"Like some stormy sermon from Trump on the virtues of chastity, I believe these House Republicans today deserve a gold medal for hypocrisy."
– U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett during remarks on the House floor after Republicans proposed a vote on a balanced budget amendment
"In summary, Census 2020 could be one of the most challenging decennial counts of this country's population in modern history."
– City Demographer Ryan Robinson, in a memo to the mayor and City Council, outlining city preparations for the 2020 U.S. census
"I think it's contrary to reason to think that any department can police themselves when a complaint is turned in to the executive team and expect there to be a just outcome."
– Austin Firefighters Assoc. President Bob Nicks, on the city’s current process for investigating harassment complaints against public safety department chiefs
"Let's do a resolution next week that APD wears blue uniforms. Oh, they already do."
– Council Member Delia Garza, during deliberations last week on Item 47, concerning police staffing
"We do not understand what motivated him to do what he did."
– Interim Police Chief Brian Manley, at a press conference Wednesday morning announcing the death of Mark Anthony Conditt, the primary suspect in the Austin bombings