The Effort to Unseat Rep. Lamar Smith Is On
Democrats line up to challenge climate-science denying GOP incumbent
By Michael King, Fri., May 26, 2017
If you haven't yet declared your candidacy to unseat Congressman Lamar "Know-Nothing" Smith, the longtime GOP incumbent in HD 21, you may want to get in line. At least six Democratic hopefuls have already queued up to compete to unseat the climate-science denying, scientist-censoring Smith, and others may be waiting for just the right moment to declare for next spring's Dem primary. The list so far includes, according to ReplaceLamar.com, a self-explanatory website:
• Derrick Crowe: communications director for SafePlace, and former Congressional aide
• Joseph Kopser: president of Grayline, high-tech entrepreneur, Army veteran
• Elliott McFadden: director of Austin B-cycle, transit and housing activist, Dem party leader
• Rixi Melton: small-business consultant, working mother, political activist
• Chris Perri: attorney, director of pro bono UT-Law Expunction Project
• Tom Wakely: longtime labor and health care activist, minister; challenged Smith in 2016.
Other potential candidates considering a run include emergency physician Ryan Allen and minister and math professor Mary Wilson. Race to Replace will host a candidate forum, scheduled for Sat., June 3, 5:30-7:30pm at the Scoot Inn, 1308 E. Fourth.
Got something to say? The Chronicle welcomes opinion pieces on any topic from the community. Submit yours now at austinchronicle.com/opinion.