Keep the Meals Turning

Meals on Wheels and More in need of donations, volunteers

Meals on Wheels and More, the charity that delivers more than a million meals a year to homebound individuals in the Austin area, needs help with the "Wheels" part. The nonprofit says high gas prices – nearing $4 per gallon at press time – could cause a $25,000 budget shortfall this year. Volunteers currently deliver about 90% of the group's meals, but the other 10% are delivered using its fleet of 19 vans that must be gassed up so they can get around Bastrop, Travis, Lee, Fayette, Caldwell, Hays, and Wil­liam­son counties, to the tune of about 4,300 miles per week. To volunteer or make a donation, go to www.mealsonwheelsandmore.org.

A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austin’s independent news source for almost 40 years, expressing the community’s political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands.

Support the Chronicle  

READ MORE
More Meals on Wheels and More
Donate for the Holidays
Donate for the Holidays
Be Santa's helper

Virginia B. Wood, Dec. 12, 2008

More by Lee Nichols
Game Changer
Game Changer
A new football culture for Austin bars

Oct. 23, 2015

Beer Flights
Beer Flights
Celis: welcome home

Aug. 17, 2012

KEYWORDS FOR THIS STORY

Meals on Wheels and More

MORE IN THE ARCHIVES
NEWSLETTERS
One click gets you all the newsletters listed below

Breaking news, arts coverage, and daily events

Can't keep up with happenings around town? We can help.

Austin's queerest news and events

Updates for SXSW 2019

All questions answered (satisfaction not guaranteed)

Information is power. Support the free press, so we can support Austin.   Support the Chronicle