Task Force Recommendations
A look at an early draft proposal
• Repairs: After breaking down all needed maintenance on a scale of one to five (one being the most critical), prioritize all level one and two repairs at all campuses.
• Fewer Offices: Sell off the Carruth Administration Center and the Baker Administrative Center, and let all office leases expire.
• Trade Temporary for Permanent Space: Build needed classrooms and the performing arts center, repurpose mothballed buildings, and cut 108 portables.
• Closures: No campuses are named, but close or consolidate eight elementaries and one middle school.
• Rebalance Elementary and Middle Schools: Options include sending all sixth graders to middle school or splitting schools into prekindergarten through third grade schools and fourth through eighth grade schools.
• New Programs, New Buildings: A boys' academy, career hubs, a new South Austin high school, and a North Central prekindergarten through eighth grade campus are all on the wish list.