Hailing the Cabs
What happens next
This comes in addition to two separate items the council passed in February. One established a nearly 13% raise in rates, to be gradually implemented through 2013. The other directed the city manager to work with the Urban Transportation Commission in examining several other taxi-related issues and bring back recommendations by the end of September. Items for discussion will include:
• Establishing flat rates from the airport to Downtown and to the UT campus area;
• Establishing flat rates for trips within the central business district;
• Establishing a "passenger cleanup" fee, applied when a cab is pulled out of rotation for cleaning;
• Establishing cab stands in nightlife areas like the Warehouse District; and
• Creating "hailing icons" and new pickup procedures to make it easier to hail cabs.