Are You Sustainable?
Current and former Austinites vying for city post
A national search conducted by Affion Public drew 185 applicants. The candidates are having formal interviews this week; they will meet the public and answer questions at community meetings today (Thursday, June 3). The public sessions are 2:30-4pm and 5-7pm at Town Lake Center, 721 Barton Springs Rd., Rm. 130.
• Brandi Clark, founder and chief inspiration officer of Austin EcoNetwork; founder of Citizen Gardener
• Natalie Marquis, general manager of Habitat Suites; executive director of Texas Solar Energy Society
• Matt Watson, currently energy policy specialist, Environmental Defense Fund – Washington, D.C. (Formerly an aide to Mayor Will Wynn, Watson had major responsibilities for the Austin Climate Protection Plan and other environmental/sustainability initiatives.)
• Lucia Athens, senior sustainable futures strategist at Seattle-based CollinsWoerman, a planning and interior design firm. (She got her master's degree at UT, helped develop the city of Austin Green Builder Program, led the city of Seattle's green building program for 10 years, and recently wrote Building an Emerald City: A Guide to Creating Green Building Policies and Programs.)
• Dennis Murphey, chief environmental officer of Kansas City, Mo.
• Beth Pratt, director of environmental affairs at Xanterra Parks & Resorts in Yellowstone National Park.