The Joy of Giving
1) Giving is getting. It is a powerful experience to be trusted to provide someone with a meal.
2) Giving is humbling. Sure, you can hand out year-end tax-break checks, but there is nothing like the first-person reality of looking someone in the eye to equalize so many of our false senses of caste, class, and superiority.
3) It's awesome when area groups cooperate and interact instead of reducing their efforts to competing for funding and resources.
4) Local groups and folks like Nubian Queen Lola make it easy to give. You may not have an extra dollar every time you wish to give someone a hand up. But you can join forces with the many local folks who have the resources and organization to allow you to participate.
5) We are the society we create. Nuff sed.
Thank you to Nubian Queen Lola, Alan and Tricia Graham, Dan Pruett, Sarah Andrews, James Hart, and the many other giving people for honoring me with the opportunity to see things a little clearer. Happy holidays, everyone.