Mueller Takes the LEED: Sample Sustainable Features
Fri., Nov. 20, 2009
• Two Platinum, two Gold, and two Silver LEED-certified commercial buildings.
• Highest concentration of homes with three-, four-, and five-star energy efficiency certification in the Austin Energy Green Building program.
• About 75 acres of completed parks and open spaces – more than 50% of the planned 140 acres.
• Of the national chains located in Mueller's retail center, required to conform to its high energy-efficiency standards, at least one has now adopted those standards nationally for all new stores.
• Using the Austin Water Utility's "purple pipe" reclaimed water system.
• Requires primarily native and drought-tolerant plants in all commercial, residential, and park landscaping; disallows plants designated as invasive species.
• On-site Mueller Energy Center converts "waste heat" into free energy in the form of chilled water.
• Home to Austin's largest public art project: SunFlowers: An Electric Garden, featuring solar panel "petals."
• Rescued more than 500 mature, native pecan trees destined for destruction in a nearby county and transplanted them to Mueller open spaces.
• Recycled the runways from the old airport.
For more, visit www.muelleraustin.com/green.
The LEED-ND Rating Scale
|Smart Location & Linkage||27|
|Neighborhood Pattern & Design||44|
|Green Infrastructure & Buildings||29|
|Innovation & Design Process||6|
|Regional Priority Credit||4|
The Mueller development scored 51 out of a possible 100 points to earn designation as a LEED Silver certified plan.
Got something to say? The Chronicle welcomes opinion pieces on any topic from the community. Submit yours now at austinchronicle.com/opinion.