Other Races Worth Watching
• Travis Co. tax assessor-collector: Nelda Wells Spears (incumbent) vs. Glen Maxey – surprisingly, the sexiest race on the primary ballot is for this fairly obscure office. See our previous coverage of this contest at austinchronicle.com.
• Travis Co. Democratic Party chair: Andy Brown vs. Fidel "Ace" Acevedo. With Rosie Mendoza's graceful exit from what had been a rare three-way contest for chair, Brown, with his proven fundraising abilities, appears to have the race locked up.
• Railroad commissioner: Art Hall vs. Dale Henry.
• Congressional District 31: No primary race, but Austin-raised Brian Ruiz, now living in Hutto, is challenging GOP incumbent John Carter. Ruiz's father is a familiar name in Austin politics – Abel Ruiz is a past president of the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and challenged state Rep. Glen Maxey for his seat back in 1996.
• Albert Gonzales, president of the Southwest Austin Democrats, says he is considering a run against Republican Travis County Commissioner Gerald Daugherty.