How to Be a Mueller Pioneer
Step-by-step instructions on becoming a New Urbanite
Application Steps:1) Get educated about the housing available and download a Pioneer Program application from the Web site. Education sessions scheduled around town are listed on the Web site, or talk to actual human beings and register on-site at Mueller Central, 4550 Mueller Blvd.
2) Decide what you want. On the registration form, prospective buyers must select just one home type and one builder. Those pursuing affordable housing must go through that process first; if not qualified, they can apply for market-rate housing.
3) Submit the Mueller prequalification application to the builder's preferred lender (by April 20) with a $50 fee. Receive a prequalification letter, which then must be submitted to Catellus. (Note: Buyers later may use any lender of their choice.)
Affordable Eligibility Steps:In addition to the above: 1) Determine whether your household income qualifies as below 80% MFI (see article). Refer to Mueller's income-eligibility instructions for details.
2) If so, obtain an income-eligibility certification from Priority Home Mortgage, as well as a conditional qualification letter.
3) Mail all forms by April 30 to Mueller #313, PO Box 2013, Austin TX, 78768-2013.
4) For assistance, free credit-financial counseling, and homeownership-education classes, contact Frameworks at 385-1500.
After April 30:1) In a random process, each completed registration will be assigned a number. This will determine the applicant's priority ranking.
2) Applicants will attempt to close on a home purchase from the builder. Some sales will not close, due to credit-worthiness or other problems; those applicants will drop off, allowing others to move up on the priority list.
3) If a registered pioneer is unable to buy his or her preferred home because the housing stock in phase one runs out, he or she can keep his or her spot in line and wait for it in phase two, which begins in 2008.
For more info, visit www.muelleraustin.com or Mueller Central, open Tuesday-Thursday, 10am-7pm, Friday-Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 1-5pm. Construction update hotline: 703-9220.