News Top 10s
Top 10 Reasons Why the Bust Isn't So Bad
In every cloud there is a silver lining, and that's true for our current cloudy economy, despite all the doom-and-gloom in the news. Consider the following benefits:
1. Artists and musicians can afford to live here again.
2. The rest of us can afford to live here again.
3. Improved customer service as fearful clerks and waitstaff cling desperately to their jobs and drop the attitude.
4. Fewer yuppies.
5. Fewer lofts replacing treasured downtown clubs, bars, and other institutions (see No. 4).
6. Fewer homogeneous chains pushing out local businesses (see Nos. 1, 2, and 4).
7. Fewer road-clogging SUVs (See No. 4).
8. Less traffic? Nah, probably not.
9. Less road building? Tighter budgets may put off some projects.
10a. (If you hate light rail) Light rail gets put on the shelf (see No. 9).
10b. (If you hate growth) Fewer new urban-sprawl suburbs!