Off the Record
Ocote Soul Sounds, the side project of Grupo Fantasma's Adrian Quesada and Antibalas' Martín Perna, warmed up for its Saturday ACL set last Thursday night at Lamberts. Not that it was needed – Quesada's funky electric guitar vibrated at the same frequency as Perna's euphoric sax and flute lines. Backed by a sixpiece band that included Fantasma's Greg Gonzales, OSS locked into a global groove early with "Justicia" and "Learn to Let Go" that continued through selections from November's The Alchemist Manifesto.
The most notable changes to this year's ACL Music Festival are also the least noticeable:
• The Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail will be lit from Zilker Park to Lamar.
• Service fees for ticket purchases were eliminated, replaced with an option for "green tags" to offset patrons' carbon emissions.
• Select use of biodiosel and solar energy throughout the grounds.
• Substitution of compact fluorescent lightbulbs for incandescent bulbs.
• Use of recyclable beer cups and compostable or biodegradable paper plates.