Didn't get Duran Duran tickets? So sorry. From the home office in Shermer, Ill., here's a few other worthwhile activities that might help convince you Ronald Reagan is still president, because really, he is:
A View to a Kill
1) Scour eBay for A-Team action figures. Re-enact various John Hughes movies with Mr. T as Molly Ringwald: "I pity the fool who don't take me to prom!"
2) Outfit your friends as Emmanuel Lewis, Corey Feldman, and Macaulay Culkin to play Michael Jackson Witness List.
3) Turn on MTV and watch the nonstop music videos. But only if you're awake from 4-6am.
4) Buy up all the Members Only jackets, skinny ties, leg warmers, and retro sneakers at area thrift stores, forcing an entire city to rethink its fashion priorities.
5) Save your money for a SXSW wristband just to see Billy Idol and the Alarm. Never mind the other 1,200 bands.
6) Hire a private investigator to track down Front 242, Haircut One Hundred, and the other guy from Wham! SXSW 2006 will be taking applications soon.
7) Rediscover the wonders of the long-neglected "keytar."
8) Thrill to the acting talents of "rock legends" Phil Collins and Glenn Frey on the newly released Miami Vice: Season 1 DVD. If anyone was born to play drug dealers, it's these two.
9) Use the free evening to think up a decent name for the half-completed decade we're in right now.
10) Write a nasty letter to The New York Times for last Sunday's article pointing out that although Eighties nostalgia is omnipresent, none of the decade's signature acts including Duran Duran are selling any records. Nitpickers!