'Tis the season to follow your heart and call a cab. Even though you can't always get what you want, it's still fun to dream. Here's what some of the people who make the Austin music scene such a unique, vibrant theatre would like under their tree.
"My own recording studio so I can record all the people who need to be recorded but can't afford it; for Meals on Wheels and the Capital Area Food Bank to have everything they need; and an old National steel guitar."
"Peace on Earth or a Mercedes, one or the other."
"I want a good record deal with national distribution, promotion, a good booking agent, a write-up in Rolling Stone, and a beautiful woman with a vacation house in Amalfi, Italy. Oh yeah ... a new fucking president!"
1) A Sonicare toothbrush
2) The Bob Dylan Self Portrait record cover throw blanket
3) For Jerod "Heeere we go" Cykoski to flaunt a dark and full, pencil-thin John Waters mustache for the entirety of 2004, or until he wins a football bet
4) Calf implants
"A brand-new nightclub in North Austin. It's what I'm working on, looking at, and wanting to do."
"World peace, a new pickup, and a strong glass of Maker's."
"The only thing I want for Christmas this year is for my horse Cali to have a speedy recovery from the surgery he just had."
"A new Moonlight Towers record. I just love this band."
"A Studer A827. It's a Swedish 2-inch reel-to-reel tape machine. And a place to live would be the coolest Christmas gift ever."
1) An all-Austin music channel on my satellite radio service
2) A gift donation to the Austin Music Foundation or the Austin Music Network
3) An Austin Lounge Lizards baseball cap
4) A reflective vest for early morning -- predawn -- dog walking (kinda boring, but oh-so-needed)
5) Socks (Yep. Really!)
"Connor Harrington, a fantastic bass player, most recently for the Hackberries, but also Gal's Panic, Playdoh Squad, Girling, and the Chiggers, is moving to Atlanta January 1, so a way for him not to move away."
"Either a pony that will never die or health, happiness, and prosperity for everyone I know, no exceptions."
"Man, it's Christmas, so peace, love, and understanding, of course."
1) The safe return of my friends' sons and daughters from Iraq
2) A real election in 2004 in which my vote does count
CHANNING LEWIS, vocals/guitar, Grand Champeen
"I'd like piano lessons and a Big Star show in Austin in the next six months."
1) A new car ... I've been driving the same Mustang for 10 years already. Before I moved to the 'burbs this year, I could walk everywhere downtown. Anyone need endorse ments?
2) My own "L.A. Lloyd annual 4th of July Picnic," that is, if Willie is ready to turn over the reins. Any bands interested?
3) Keep Austin Weirder
4) For Z102.3 to be the Austin Chronicle's "Station of the Year"
5) My true wish: peace, love, good health, and happiness to you. And to get our soldiers home in 2004.
Henry Garza (guitar/vocals): "Original Krager rims for my '72 Cutlass Supreme and more time with my family."
Ringo Garza (drums/vocals):
"PlayStation2 with a year's subscription to PS Live and more time with my family and new baby."
Jojo Garza (bass/vocals): "'69 jet-black Camaro SS and more time with my family."
"A 90210 Christmas reunion, a guest-starring spot on The OC, and a helper midget. I would prefer a midget, but if not, a monkey would be OK."
1) An Andre 3000 T-shirt
2) Some NRBQ CDs
3) A new pair of shoes to replace the Doc Martens I bought when I was 16
4) Some good soul to offer to clean my minivan
5) Time to hang with my family and friends
1) A building we can stay in for years to come
2) A mayor that cares about local music
3) For Grande Cable to be bigger than Time Warner by next Christmas
4) All the money back I lost on AOL stock after the Time Warner merger
"An Austin-area soundstage large enough to fit an orchestra performing the score for a movie produced and directed by a Texas filmmaker."
"I want glasses. I haven't had glasses for a while now -- I lost 'em. That would make me really happy. And cash, I guess. I like cash."
1) Blood-orange perfume from Daya Salon
2) A city ordinance against gigs that pay $17
3) An extra season of Sex and the City
4) A guy to kiss on New Year's Eve
5) Three-hour siesta lunches every day, like in Italy
6) Real democracy, not just the stunt double
7) Some classes at Prana Yoga
8) A really good coconut cake recipe
9) A really good summer tour
10) A copy of Aristophanes' Lysistrata
THE REAL HEROES
Kyle English, guitar
1) A certain local singer to sing me "Secret Love" under the Christmas twig (she knows who she is)
2) To see Eddie Van Halen live one more time before either he or I are dead. I don't care if he gets Dee Snider to sing.
Joey Spivey, drums
3) Justin Timberlake's karma. The guy can do no wrong.
4) A guaranteed three-album record contract with total artistic control. A man can dream.
5) An old-school roulette wheel to complete my underground gambling casino. Knock twice; password is "bling-bling."
"The new Bill Hicks DVDs, titty dancers, and blow. And to finally get laid."
"World peace, a hit record, and an engagement ring. Oh, and some girly vanilla-scented body lotion."
"Socks," relays band publicist Julie Carr. "When they're on the road, they don't get to shower very often, and their feet get stinky. One of their favorite shows was in North Carolina at this place called the Wizard. The club owner gave them a case of beer and some brand-new socks. They loved it."
"A car, a Sousaphone, and for shitty bands to get a clue."
"A new Dan Electro bass. I don't know if anybody will buy it for me though. You can never have too many basses."
"I would like the party people to come party down on Sixth Street and have a good time. Peace, love, and P-Funk."
"Peace, health, and a new pair of castanets!"
"A George Strait single, which I've wanted since I was 11 years old. I've got a guitar that stays in tune and every Buddy Holly record, so just a healthy and happy family."
"I've got everything. I really do. Except getting out to California to be with my grandson for Christmas. I can't imagine what I could possibly want. By wanting something I could really queer my good deal."
WENDY WWAD, co-founder, Rank and Revue
"The Led Zeppelin live DVD that came out last summer."
Copyright © 2022 Austin Chronicle Corporation. All rights reserved.