Women & Their Work
1710 Lavaca, 512/477-1064
The name says it all: The gallery (and nonprofit organization of the same name) presents innovative, original contemporary art by women of all stripes. Since 1978, Women & Their Work has made establishing a space for the visual legacy of female artists more than a mission; it's made it a vision. The 1,700-square-foot gallery showcases one artist at a time, with each artist in full control of everything from wall color to room size, making it perfect for site-responsive works and beautifully focused presentations. Yearly open calls ensure that programming ranges in material and content. The space also features a gift shop every bit as classy and professional as the gallery itself.
In this new show by Tammie Rubin, "the wispy tendrils of ball moss serve as a signifier of gathering chaos, conclave connections, concentrated confusion, a labyrinth of values, and growing will. Sculptures are constructed of knots and tangles of twine and rope, embedded with steel wool and cotton, and armatures of wire." Through Jan. 10.
- 2017: Readers Best Art Gallery
- 2015: Readers Best Independent Art Gallery
- 2014: Readers Best Independent Art Gallery
- 2012: Readers Best Art Gallery (Women and Their Work)
- 2010: Critics Best Art Fundraiser (Body of Art – Spring Gala)
- 2007: Readers Best Art Gallery
- 2006: Readers Best Art Gallery (TIE: Women & Their Work, Gallery Lombardi)
- 2004: Readers Best Art Gallery
- 2004: Critics Best FUNdraisers (The H2Hos Show for Women & Their Work and Kings n Things for Out Youth)
- 2002: Readers Best Art Gallery
- 2001: Readers Best Art Gallery
- 1994: Critics Best "Gal" Art