Upper Crust Bakery
4508 Burnet Rd., 512/467-0102
The atmosphere here is punctuated by newspapers lying around on wooden tables, as well as by mothers and little girls enjoying a midmorning snack. Cinnamon roll aficionados should try Upper Crust's version, a refined-taste treat that refuses to overwhelm the cinnamon with stickiness. Stop by at lunchtime for soups, salads, and sandwiches, and maybe bring a cake back to the office.
- 2022: Readers Bakery
- 2021: Readers Birthday Cakes
- 2015: Readers Best Bakery (Upper Crust)
- 2014: Readers Best Bakery (TIE: Upper Crust; Sugar Mama's)
- 2007: Critics Best Grownup Food Trend (The Cupcake Comes of Age)
- 2003: Readers Best Bakery
- 2002: Critics Best Challa
- 2002: Readers Best Bakery
- 2001: Readers Best Bakery
- 2000: Readers Best Bakery
- 1999: Readers Best Bakery
- 1998: Readers Best Bakery
- 1997: Readers Best Bakery
- 1997: Critics Best Cinnamon Roll & Best Proof Of A Supreme Being & Best Bread That Eats Like A Meal
- 1996: Readers Best Bakery
- 1994: Readers Best Bakery
- 1994: Readers Best Bakery, Pastries
- 1993: Critics Best Jalapeno Croissants
- 1991: Readers Best Bakery, Pastries
The longest continuously operated Drafthouse, the Alamo Drafthouse Village opened in 2001 on Anderson Lane before Anderson Lane was cool. The four-screen cinema specializes in first-run features, with Sony 4K digital projection allowing for both RealD 3D and 48 FPS screenings. Plus, with much of the American Genre Film Archive stored here, it also has 35mm screenings. A recent revamp added new padded chairs and shared tables for food and drink from the Drafthouse’s extensive menu delivered during screenings, and a new patio adds outdoor drinking from the bar.
2700 W. Anderson #701, 512/861-7030
Cake balls: Not just for breakfast anymore. The menu here features appetizers, salads, entrées, soups, and desserts complemented by a well-chosen wine list, a selection of local craft beers in bottles, and a roster of custom cocktails.
5310 Burnet Road Suite #107, Austin, 512/826-4824
You could theoretically stay here all day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Daily hot plate specials include meat loaf with Creole sauce and pork loin over cornbread dressing. Expect a wait for weekend brunch.
5222 Burnet Rd., 512/467-9552