200 E. MLK, 512/471-7324
Located on the University of Texas campus, the Blanton is a museum worthy of the state. At 180,000 square feet, it's the largest university art museum in the country and home to the biggest public-owned art collection in Central Texas, with 18,000 works that range from the European Renaissance (with paintings by Paolo Veronese and Rubens) to the Modernist era and beyond (with significant collections of 20th century North American art and contemporary Latin American art) to an encyclopedic collection of prints and drawings that spans centuries. In addition to the works from the collection on permanent display, the Blanton offers changing exhibitions, both major touring shows and ambitious homegrown efforts curated by museum staff, and lively public programs that include a literal art party once a month.
This new exhibition, organized by the Vitra Design Museum
and the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
, presents the work of more than 120 artists and designers
, displaying sculpture, prints, fashion, furniture, film, photography, apps, maps, digital comics, and more to show how African design generates innovative design approaches and solutions with worldwide relevance
. Through Jan. 6.
Through straight-forward animation and accompanied by a Sylvia Meyer
music score, vintage figurines perform in humorous, absurd, and moving vignettes in this Liliana Porter
video. It'll be screening, accompanied by Porter's Labor forzada
installation, through February. Through Feb. 2.
Here's an informative hour of talks in conjunction with the museums's current "Making Africa: A Continent of Contemporary Design" exhibition. Thu., Dec. 13, 12:30pm. Free.
Make a yarn ornament inspired by Mindful Weaving. Saturdays in December, 11am-1pm. Free with museum admission; members and UT students, staff, and faculty, free.
- 2017: Readers Best Museum
- 2016: Readers Best Museum
- 2015: Readers Best Museum (Blanton Museum of Art)
- 2014: Readers Best Museum (Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art)
- 2014: Critics Best Multimedia Meme ("In the Company of Cats and Dogs" Exhibit at the Blanton)
- 2013: Readers Best Art Gallery (Blanton Museum of Art)
- 2013: Readers Best Museum
- 2012: Readers Best Museum (Blanton Museum of Art)
- 2011: Readers Best Museum
- 2010: Readers Best Museum
- 2009: Readers Best Museum (Blanton)
- 2008: Readers Best Art Gallery (The Blanton)
- 2007: Readers Best Museum
- 2007: Readers Best Place to See New Art
- 2006: Readers Best Museum (Blanton Museum of Art)
- 2006: Readers Best Place to See New Art (Blanton Museum of Art)
- 2002: Critics Best Illusion
- 2001: Critics Best 20th-Century Latin American Collection
- 2000: Critics Cheapest Highbrow Date
- 1999: Critics Best Thing On Paper