Long Center for the Performing Arts
701 W. Riverside, Austin, 78704, 512/474-5664
Built on the footprint of Palmer Auditorium in part with reclaimed materials from its predecessor, the Long Center opened in 2008. It serves as home to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, Ballet Austin, and Austin Opera. Between a marquee setting across the lake from Downtown and civic-minded integration with surrounding areas, the Long has proven transformational. The multi-tiered Dell Hall, the complex’s largest venue, seats 2,442. Even the upper balcony seats provide good sight lines. The hall’s acoustics eliminate dead zones by design and a series of movable banners and curtains enable the room to be custom-tuned for the music at hand.
Ballet Austin's Stephen Mills presents two of the most in-demand dance makers in the world. New York City Ballet's Justin Peck makes his Central Texas debut with Creases, set to the music of Philip Glass, and Bessie Award-winner Pam Tanowitz unveils a world premiere dance work. Mills closes the evening with his own Kai, inspired by the music of John Cage. Bonus: Michelle Schumann on piano. Feb. 16-18. Fri.-Sat., 8pm; Sun., 3pm. $25 and up.
Austin Shakespeare brings Anton Chekhov’s classic play to the Long Center, featuring Michael Miller, Corinna Browning, Tyler Layton, Matt Radford Davies, Helen Merino, Ev Lunning Jr., and more, under the direction of Ann Ciccolella. Through Feb. 25. Thu.-Sat., 7:30pm; Sun., 3pm. $22 and up.
This night of music from the ASO features works by composers Schumann and MacDowell, showcasing the lissome legerdemain of pianist Rick Rowley. Feb. 23-24. Fri.-Sat., 8pm. $19-75.
- 2015: Readers Best Downtown View (The Long Center)
- 2015: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2013: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2011: Readers Best Downtown View
- 2011: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2010: Readers Best Downtown View (Long Center)
- 2010: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2009: Readers Best New Building (Past Five Years)
- 2009: Readers Best Performance Space (Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Structural Update (Stan Haas for the Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Room for Listening (Dell Hall at the Long Center)
- 2008: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)