705 Red River, Austin, 78701, 512/478-8385
Bela Lugosi may be dead, but his memory lives on here. Opened in 2001, the 500-capacity Red River institution remains the shadowy mecca for local goths 18-and-up, and upholds the city’s legacy as a former industrial rock capital. It’s also developed its own peerless reputation for neo-folk, neo-goth, and techno. Scene heavyweights like Combichrist have been known to divert tours through Texas just to stop by. During SXSW, it’s the established home of the beloved Japan Nite celebration of music from the shadow of Mount Fuji.
These geeky queens are putting on a battle more epic than HBO could ever imagine. Choose your side. And remember: "the night is dark and full of terrors, and there's one drag show to rule them all." Thu., Feb. 22, 10pm-1am.
- 2008: Readers Best Place to Dance
- 2007: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Bartender (TIE: Duc Dinh at 219 West, Emily at Elysium)
- 2005: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2004: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2003: Readers Best Dance Music Club
- 2002: Critics Best Retro Game Rooms