705 Red River, Austin, 78701, 512/478-8385
Bela Lugosi may be dead, but his memory lives on here. Opened in 2001, the 500-capacity Red River institution remains the shadowy mecca for local goths 18-and-up, and upholds the city’s legacy as a former industrial rock capital. It’s also developed its own peerless reputation for neo-folk, neo-goth, and techno. Scene heavyweights like Combichrist have been known to divert tours through Texas just to stop by. During SXSW, it’s the established home of the beloved Japan Nite celebration of music from the shadow of Mount Fuji.
Thu., Oct. 5, 9pm
Getcher gel pens ready and your neons on lock cuz these Geeks are honoring the one and only Lisa Frank. Tasha Starr, Zane Zena, Chique Fil-Atio, Sticky Gold, and more with DJ Scarecrowonfire and yer host Honey St. Claire. Wed., Sept. 27, 10pm. $5, $3 with costume.
- 2008: Readers Best Place to Dance
- 2007: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2006: Readers Best Bartender (TIE: Duc Dinh at 219 West, Emily at Elysium)
- 2005: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2004: Readers Best Dance Club
- 2003: Readers Best Dance Music Club
- 2002: Critics Best Retro Game Rooms