Cheer Up Charlies
900 Red River, Austin, 78701, 512/431-2133
The fun, gay uncle of the Red River bar and live music scene, Cheer Ups is one of the most cheerful, inviting, and beloved venues on the block. Featuring random rainbow art, unicorns, and funkiness all around, the vegan bar serves a creative blend of cocktails (kale lime gingerita), as well as local beers, organic teas, and kombucha on tap. Outside, the limestone-dressed stage remains home to a variety of eclectic events, from crafts nights to karaoke, Peaches to John Legend.
Tue., Nov. 21, 9pm
Chakra Khan, Roar, Naked Tungs
Fri., Nov. 24
Daphne, Faith Healer, Cecil Frena, Michael Parallax
Sat., Nov. 25
Smear magazine release party w/ Teenage Cavegirl, Leather Girls, Lake of Fire, Madeline Crisman, Endless Sewer
Sun., Nov. 26
Ichi Ni San Shi, Pilgrimess, Unpopular, Sup Bruh, DJ Fox Bat
Mon., Nov. 27
Basements, Landshark!, Bitter Heart Society
Wed., Nov. 29
MeanGirls, Bethlehem Steel, Most Likely, Exhalants
Thu., Nov. 30
Dregs, Vampyre, Filthy, Pretty Shitty
Forget saying thanks, the queers of the mountain wanna know what you're not thankful for. Ralphie Hardesty hosts with special guest Roxy Castillo. Wed., Nov. 22, 9-10:30pm. Free.
Local sets and touring acts make for a swell night of sounds. Fri., Nov. 24, 9pm. $3 suggested donation.
Celebrate the zine's fourth issue release with Lake of Fire, Leather Girls, Teenage Cavegirl, Endless Sewer, and Madeline Crisman. Sat., Nov. 25, 8pm. $5 ($10, 18 and up).
Y'all know we always support BHS, but this is an all-star lineup of local punk grrrls. Mon., Nov. 27, 8pm. Free.
- 2017: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2016: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2015: Critics Best Pseudo-Healthy Cocktail (The Golden Ticket at Cheer Up Charlies)
- 2015: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2015: Readers Best Bar
- 2015: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2015: Critics Best "i love you so much" Sequel ("teen fags run this hood")
- 2014: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2014: Readers Best New Club (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2014: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2013: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2012: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2011: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2010: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (TIE: Rain on 4th; Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2009: Critics Best Cart of Vegan Luv (Cheer Up Charlie's)
Southwestern mini-chain features an array of salads, soups, and botanical cocktails.
2201 College Ave., 512/852-8791