Cheer Up Charlies
900 Red River, 512/431-2133
Hours: Sunday, 4pm-2am
The fun, gay uncle of the Red River bar and live music scene, Cheer Ups is one of the most cheerful, inviting, and beloved venues on the block. Featuring random rainbow art, unicorns, and funkiness all around, the vegan bar serves a creative blend of cocktails (kale lime gingerita), as well as local beers, organic teas, and kombucha on tap. Outside, the limestone-dressed stage remains home to a variety of eclectic events, from crafts nights to karaoke, Peaches to John Legend.
Sat., Oct. 20, 9pm
Alexalone, Hypoluxo, Why Bonnie, Vonne
Wed., Oct. 24, 9pm
Filthy, Wingtips, Provoker, Rare Magic
Fri., Oct. 26, 9pm
Sun June, Yung Heazy, PR Newman, Why Bonnie, Good Field, AMA
Sat., Oct. 27, 7pm
Sunbathe, Ryan Von Gonten, Linen Closet
Tue., Oct. 30, 9pm
The Gory Details, Slaughterstein, Suspirians, Caleb De Casper
is a platform for women of all colors, beliefs, and traditions to perform and share their original compositions. Sun., Oct. 21, 5pm. Suggested donation.
- 2017: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2016: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2015: Critics Best Pseudo-Healthy Cocktail (The Golden Ticket at Cheer Up Charlies)
- 2015: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2015: Readers Best Bar
- 2015: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2015: Critics Best "i love you so much" Sequel ("teen fags run this hood")
- 2014: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2014: Readers Best New Club (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2014: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2013: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2012: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2011: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2010: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (TIE: Rain on 4th; Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2009: Critics Best Cart of Vegan Luv (Cheer Up Charlie's)
What began as a food truck in 2009 has blossomed into an adorable East Austin restaurant with a dedicated following. Counter Culture offers vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free, and raw alternatives to many beloved comfort foods. Local, organic produce is used whenever possible, and healthy food, not just animal-free food, is a priority.
2337 E. Cesar Chavez, 512/524-1540
Serving a whopping variety of sushi and a small selection of Japanese appetizers, this restaurant features fine fish and friendly service.
2905 San Gabriel St, Ste 200, 512/795-8593
Southwestern mini-chain features an array of salads, soups, and botanical cocktails.
2201 College Ave., 512/852-8791