Cheer Up Charlies
900 Red River, Austin, 78701, 512/431-2133
The fun, gay uncle of the Red River bar and live music scene, Cheer Ups is one of the most cheerful, inviting, and beloved venues on the block. Featuring random rainbow art, unicorns, and funkiness all around, the vegan bar serves a creative blend of cocktails (kale lime gingerita), as well as local beers, organic teas, and kombucha on tap. Outside, the limestone-dressed stage remains home to a variety of eclectic events, from crafts nights to karaoke, Peaches to John Legend.
Fri., May 25
Carry Illinois (EP release), Andy, Middlespoon, DJ GirlFriend
Sat., May 26
Name Sayers (album release), Feverbones, Brickwaller, Flying Turns
Sun., May 27
Michael Parallax, The Pauses, Born Twins
Wed., May 30
Palberta, The Zoltars, Daniel Francis Doyle, Pataphysics
Thu., May 31
Trés Oui, Springtime & the Changes, Talkies, The Hermits
Sun., June 3, 7pm
Peach Kelli Pop, Go Fever, Mean Jolene
Mon., June 4, 9pm
PR Newman, Smiile, Holiday Music, Being Dead
Celebrate the release of Work in Progress
– the latest EP from our queer indie-pop band Carry Illinois
. Fri., May 25, 9:30pm. Free.
Catch an acoustic set by Orlando's infectious indie-pop act the Pauses and more. Sun., May 27, 9pm-1am.
Brown State of Mind joins forces with CUC for a month of good music Mondays with art and local talent including Joaquin and Friends (May 7), Shanzyan, Wosavey, NTRL (May 14), and more! Mondays, 9pm. Free.
Speak up, talk back, get it off your chest. We don't know what "it" is, but GFQM encourages you to share whatever it is you've been holding back. Queer storytelling: Feel the rush. Tue., May 29, 9-10:30pm.
DIY and deconstructed beats by bands from New York and right here. Wed., May 30, 9pm. $5 suggested donation.
- 2017: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2016: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2015: Critics Best Pseudo-Healthy Cocktail (The Golden Ticket at Cheer Up Charlies)
- 2015: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2015: Readers Best Bar
- 2015: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2015: Critics Best "i love you so much" Sequel ("teen fags run this hood")
- 2014: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2014: Readers Best New Club (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2014: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2013: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2012: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2011: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2010: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (TIE: Rain on 4th; Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2009: Critics Best Cart of Vegan Luv (Cheer Up Charlie's)
What began as a food truck in 2009 has blossomed into an adorable East Austin restaurant with a dedicated following. Counter Culture offers vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free, and raw alternatives to many beloved comfort foods. Local, organic produce is used whenever possible, and healthy food, not just animal-free food, is a priority.
2337 E. Cesar Chavez, 512/524-1540
Serving a whopping variety of sushi and a small selection of Japanese appetizers, this restaurant features fine fish and friendly service.
2905 San Gabriel St, Ste 200, 512/795-8593
Southwestern mini-chain features an array of salads, soups, and botanical cocktails.
2201 College Ave., 512/852-8791