Cheer Up Charlies
900 Red River, Austin, 78701, 512/431-2133
The fun, gay uncle of the Red River bar and live music scene, Cheer Ups is one of the most cheerful, inviting, and beloved venues on the block. Featuring random rainbow art, unicorns, and funkiness all around, the vegan bar serves a creative blend of cocktails (kale lime gingerita), as well as local beers, organic teas, and kombucha on tap. Outside, the limestone-dressed stage remains home to a variety of eclectic events, from crafts nights to karaoke, Peaches to John Legend.
Fri., Aug. 17, 9pm
Los Coast, Star Parks, Palo Duro, AMA, the Azmaris
Sun., Aug. 19, 9pm
BAIJ, Most Modern, Memory Keepers
Tue., Aug. 21, 9pm
Howdy Gals Presents w/ Alexalone, T-Rextasy, TC Superstar, Van Mary
Wed., Aug. 22
Teddy Glass, Pollen Rx, Linen Closet, Boonesboro
Thu., Aug. 23, 9pm
The Diamond Center, Kay Odyssey, Wurve, All in the Golden Afternoon, Nolan Potter's Nightmare Band
Sat., Aug. 25, 4pm
Beto Days Ahead: A Benefit to Turn Texas Blue w/ Quiet Company, Eric Tessmer, Harvest Thieves, Western Youth, Löwin, A. Sinclair, Ben Ballinger, Booher, Ali Holder, Curtis Roush
Wed., Aug. 29, 10pm
Robby, 2069, Veranda
Get your socks rocked with a heavy lineup of musical acts taking over the inside and outside of CUC. Fri., Aug. 17, 9pm. $5; $8 for ages 18-20.
Light up your night and ease into Monday with synth-pop beats and New Wave charm. Extra loveliness provided by BAIJ. Sun., Aug. 19 - Mon., Aug. 20, 9pm-12:30am.
Lez be honest, you had us at T-Rextasy – coming in hot from New York. Tue., Aug. 21, 9pm. $3-5 suggested donation.
- 2017: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2016: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2015: Critics Best Pseudo-Healthy Cocktail (The Golden Ticket at Cheer Up Charlies)
- 2015: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2015: Readers Best Bar
- 2015: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2015: Critics Best "i love you so much" Sequel ("teen fags run this hood")
- 2014: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2014: Readers Best New Club (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2014: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2013: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2012: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2011: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2010: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (TIE: Rain on 4th; Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2009: Critics Best Cart of Vegan Luv (Cheer Up Charlie's)
What began as a food truck in 2009 has blossomed into an adorable East Austin restaurant with a dedicated following. Counter Culture offers vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free, and raw alternatives to many beloved comfort foods. Local, organic produce is used whenever possible, and healthy food, not just animal-free food, is a priority.
2337 E. Cesar Chavez, 512/524-1540
Serving a whopping variety of sushi and a small selection of Japanese appetizers, this restaurant features fine fish and friendly service.
2905 San Gabriel St, Ste 200, 512/795-8593
Southwestern mini-chain features an array of salads, soups, and botanical cocktails.
2201 College Ave., 512/852-8791