SFC Farmers' Market at Sunset Valley
3200 Jones, Austin, 78745, 512/236-0074
Hours: Saturdays, 9am-1pm
- 2011: Readers Best Farmers' Market (Sustainable Food Center Farmers' Market Downtown)
- 2010: Critics Best Example of Turning Lemons Into Lemonade (Farmers' Market Fracas)
- 2009: Readers Best Farmers' Market (Austin Farmers' Market, Downtown)
- 2009: Critics Best Rotisserie Chicken (Country Grill at the Farmers' Markets)
- 2007: Critics Best Midweek Mingling for Toddlers Into Localization and Sustainability (Austin Farmers' Market at the Triangle)
- 2006: Critics Best When Cutting the Cheese on a First Date Is OK (Austin Farmers' Market Downtown)
- 2004: Critics Best Reason to Wake Up Early on a Saturday Morning (Blooming Idiots)
- 2003: Critics Best Grocery Store Alternative
The helves are stocked with cereals, snacks, and packaged foods – an array of items that ranges from umbrellas and toilet paper to JuiceLand beverages, eggs, milk, and ice cream. Honey and skin care products from BeeWeaver Apiaries of Dripping Springs are expected soon. A small wine selection and an impressive walk-in beer cooler, as well as a full complement of freshly made coffee beverages, make this friendly, upscale neighborhood convenience store a keeper.
1001 E. Sixth, 512/861-5022
Utilizing sour dough and King's Hawaiian Bread, these artisan grilled cheese sandwiches contain a range of elements such as aged cheese, spicy maple bacon sauce, organic peanut butter, apricot fig sauce, and smoked prosciutto.
1221 S. Congress Ave., 512/865-7730
Everything from Chef Jesse Griffiths' unassuming hotspot is local, even the tea. Expect the choicest cuts of meat, just out of the water seafood, and barely harvested vegetables. The service is as adept as the kitchen.
2406 Manor Rd., 512/524-0688