1120 S. Lamar
The adults-only drinking room for the Alamo South Lamar cinema, originally located in a separate building as a bar/venue/karaoke club/bowling alley, the new Highball reopened attached to the revamped theater in 2014. The bowling alley’s gone, but the lanes were repurposed as bar tops and the smooth dance floor. Residences fill the calendar, including the Nightowl’s Motown Monday, Friday dance dates with the Copa Kings, and regular sessions with Dale Watson & His Lone Stars. In between shows, the themed karaoke rooms, celebrating every geeky thrill from Super Mario to cinematic Satanism, are a great way to kill time and tunes.
If this is diner food, then it's from the best diner in the universe
Kate Thornberry, April 22, 2010
The HighBall offers a hip vibe and a great view of Austin's skyline along with its retro entertainment and varied (and evolving) menu
Virginia B. Wood, January 7, 2010
- 2016: Readers Best Party Place
- 2016: Readers Best Karaoke
- 2015: Critics Best Dance, Dance, Karaoke (HighBall)
- 2015: Readers Best Karaoke (HighBall)
- 2011: Readers Best Bowling Alley (TIE: Dart Bowl, The HighBall)
- 2011: Readers Best Lounge (TIE: Rio Rita; the HighBall)
- 2010: Critics Best Emblematic Hangout or Don Draper Bowl-a-rama
- 2010: Critics Best Post-Modern Retro Throwback Dessert Experience
Beyond the morning cup o' joe, Austin Java offers an array of sustenance plus luscious desserts.
1608 Barton Springs Rd., 512/482-9450
Built to please with its generous happy hours and beer-battered, beer-simmered specialties. Plus, no cover charge for live blues.
3003 S. Lamar, 512/691-9140
Enjoy food from Luke's Inside Out truck right out front.
1109 S. Lamar, 512/386-1345