Cheer Up Charlies
900 Red River, Austin, 78701, 512/431-2133
The fun, gay uncle of the Red River bar and live music scene, Cheer Ups is one of the most cheerful, inviting, and beloved venues on the block. Featuring random rainbow art, unicorns, and funkiness all around, the vegan bar serves a creative blend of cocktails (kale lime gingerita), as well as local beers, organic teas, and kombucha on tap. Outside, the limestone-dressed stage remains home to a variety of eclectic events, from crafts nights to karaoke, Peaches to John Legend.
Wed., Oct. 25, 10pm
Shivery Shakes, Pinact, Trés Oui
Fri., Oct. 27, 8pm
Big Bill, Shmu (single release), Palo Duro (album release), All Eyes, Star Parks, SMiiLE, Big Spirits, Dead Recipe
Sun., Oct. 29, 9pm
Caleb De Casper, Wayne Holtz, Kiddoo & the Dude
Mon., Oct. 30, 9pm
Daphne, Casey Golden, Real Live Tigers
Thu., Nov. 2
The Belle Sounds, Ali Holder, Hot Cotton
Fri., Nov. 10
Sound on Sound presents Lindstrom, Juan Maclean (DJ set)
Sat., Nov. 11
Sound on Sound presents the Frights, Hockey Dad
Remember when he called you on your cell phone? Celebrate Drake's birth at the club with DJ GirlFriend. Tue., Oct. 24, 10pm. Free.
Steamy, dirty, sexy stories – this month's GfQM is telling tall tales about romancing yer fave fictional characters (cartoons, comics, soaps, you name it). Hosted by Ralphie Hardesty and special guests Jesus Valles. Wed., Oct. 25, 9-11pm. Free.
These arm-wrestling ladies put an emphasis on power and performance with personas as big as their biceps. It's like pro wrestling: all the grunting without the ring. This also serves as a fundraiser for Amaanah Refugee Services. Thu., Oct. 26, 8pm. $5.
Get ready to rumble with the Austin Collective of Lady Arm Wrestlers. Eight badass women battle it out to raise funds for Amaanah Refugee Services. Thu., Oct. 26, 8-11pm. $5 suggested donation.
A seriously spooky celebration to honor our fave scream queens Louisianna Purchase and Zane Zena. Expect drag, expect dance, expect the unexpected. Dressing up is encouraged. Sat., Oct. 28, 10pm. $5.
Caleb De Casper's glam/goth residency is coming to an end with banging beats. Experimental pop act Wayne Holtz from San Antonio and funk rockers Kiddoo & the Dude open the night. Sun., Oct. 29, 9pm.
- 2016: Readers Best LGBTQ Club
- 2015: Critics Best Pseudo-Healthy Cocktail (The Golden Ticket at Cheer Up Charlies)
- 2015: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2015: Readers Best Bar
- 2015: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout
- 2015: Critics Best "i love you so much" Sequel ("teen fags run this hood")
- 2014: Readers Best Scenester/Mover and Shaker (Maggie Lea)
- 2014: Readers Best New Club (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2014: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2013: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2012: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2011: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2010: Readers Best LGBTQ Hangout (TIE: Rain on 4th; Cheer Up Charlie's)
- 2009: Critics Best Cart of Vegan Luv (Cheer Up Charlie's)
Southwestern mini-chain features an array of salads, soups, and botanical cocktails.
2201 College Ave., 512/852-8791