Upper Crust Bakery
4508 Burnet Rd., Austin, 78756, 512/467-0102
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 6:30am-6:30pm; Sat., 7am-5pm;
The atmosphere here is punctuated by newspapers laying around wooden tables, as well as by mothers and little girls enjoying a mid-morning snack. Cinnamon-roll aficionados should try Upper Crust's version, a refined taste treat that refuses to overwhelm the cinnamon with stickiness. Stop by at lunchtime for soups, salads, and sandwiches, and maybe bring a cake back to the office.
- 2015: Readers Best Bakery (Upper Crust)
- 2014: Readers Best Bakery (TIE: Upper Crust; Sugar Mama's)
- 2007: Critics Best Grownup Food Trend (The Cupcake Comes of Age)
- 2003: Readers Best Bakery
- 2002: Critics Best Challa
- 2002: Readers Best Bakery
- 2001: Readers Best Bakery
- 2000: Readers Best Bakery
- 1999: Readers Best Bakery
- 1998: Readers Best Bakery
- 1997: Readers Best Bakery
- 1997: Critics Best Cinnamon Roll & Best Proof Of A Supreme Being & Best Bread That Eats Like A Meal
- 1996: Readers Best Bakery
- 1994: Readers Best Bakery
- 1994: Readers Best Bakery, Pastries
- 1993: Critics Best Jalapeno Croissants
- 1991: Readers Best Bakery, Pastries
While they do offer a delicious assortment of handmade Italian ice creams and fruit sorbets, it would be a mistake to miss the savory selections here. The caprese salad with creamy pesto will whet your appetite for a gooey panini of chicken, roasted pepper, and provolone. Or have the caprese as a panini. The requisite variety of coffee drinks, spirits, and cordials makes this place a neighborhood favorite.
4222 Duval St., 512/323-2686
Something of a community cornerstone, with economical coffee and a relaxed, sit-and-stay-awhile atmosphere. You can also sate your sweet tooth with a brownie or pastry.
5011 Duval St., 512/458-4472
Offers a wide selection of high-quality doughnut-shop fare, including several flavors of cake and yeast doughnuts, éclairs, Bismarcks, and, of course, doughnut holes.
2820 Guadalupe, 512/320-8484