Long Center for the Performing Arts
701 W. Riverside, 512/474-5664
Built on the footprint of Palmer Auditorium in part with reclaimed materials from its predecessor, the Long Center opened in 2008. It serves as home to the Austin Symphony Orchestra, Ballet Austin, and Austin Opera. Between a marquee setting across the lake from Downtown and civic-minded integration with surrounding areas, the Long has proven transformational. The multi-tiered Dell Hall, the complex’s largest venue, seats 2,442. Even the upper balcony seats provide good sight lines. The hall’s acoustics eliminate dead zones by design and a series of movable banners and curtains enable the room to be custom-tuned for the music at hand.
Shay Ishii Dance Company presents the fifth anniversary of this celebration of artistic heritage and historic dance, featuring an array of reconstructions, restagings ,and reimaginings that elaborate on the masterworks of modern dance pioneers Loïe Fuller, Isadora Duncan, and Erick Hawkins with contemporary technology and media. June 28-29. Fri., 8pm; Sat., 2 & 8pm. $12-20.
- 2015: Readers Best Downtown View (The Long Center)
- 2015: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2013: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)
- 2011: Readers Best Downtown View
- 2011: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2010: Readers Best Downtown View (Long Center)
- 2010: Readers Best Performance Space
- 2009: Readers Best New Building (Past Five Years)
- 2009: Readers Best Performance Space (Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Structural Update (Stan Haas for the Long Center)
- 2008: Critics Best Room for Listening (Dell Hall at the Long Center)
- 2008: Readers Best Performance Space (The Long Center)