There's a Seat for Everybody at This Table
Brown Rice & Pumpkin Seed StuffingGluten-free, dairy-free
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: about 1 ½ hr.
Yield: 1 ½ quarts, enough for a small- to medium-sized turkey
Provided by my most talented culinary friend, this bread-free stuffing is made nearly like the traditional one using turkey giblets to create a from-scratch broth. It can be stuffed in the bird, or served separately in a casserole dish as a hearty, beautiful side.
3 ribs celery with leaves
Giblets from chicken or turkey
3 cups of water
1 bay leaf
Sea salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup raw brown rice
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup chopped parsley
½ teaspoon sage
¼ teaspoon marjoram
1) Slice one onion and dice one rib of celery. Place in a saucepan. Add giblets, water, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 45 minutes.
2) Remove giblets. Discard skin and bones, and dice meat. Reserve.
3) Boil broth rapidly until 2 cups remain. Reserve.
4) Chop remaining onions. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and sauté.
5) Add rice to saucepan and cook 3 minutes longer. Add reserved broth, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until rice has absorbed all the liquid (about 45 minutes).
6) Finely chop remaining celery and add with pumpkin seeds, parsley, sage, marjoram, and the reserved meat. Season with salt. Use to stuff a small- to medium-sized turkey or serve separately as a side.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org