By Virginia B. Wood, Fri., May 20, 2011
• Vitamix chef trainer Sarah Castro presents recipes using the Vitamix blender at Faraday's Kitchen Store (1501-A RR 620 N.). Classes are $20, or free with purchase of a Vitamix. Saturday, May 21, 9am, 11:30am, and 2pm.
• Chef du Cinema's Ron Deutsch will prepare five courses of Spanish tapas complemented by a screening of Pedro Almodóvar's Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown at the Central Market Cooking School (4001 N. Lamar, 206-1014). $50 per person; reservations necessary. Sunday, May 22, 11am-2pm.
• Chef Lawrence Kocurek presents a whole fish preparation class with hands-on instruction, recipes, and a buffet. $75 per person at www.kocurekfamilycharcuterie.com. Sunday, May 22, 1-4pm.
• The Wine Down Wednesdays series continues on the Front Porch at ACL Live (310 W. Second) with music from Drew Smith and sushi from How Do You Roll? Wednesday, May 25, 5-7pm.
• Fino (2905 San Gabriel) welcomes Dai Due chef Jesse Griffiths for an all-local, five-course Chef's Table dinner. $80 per person; reservations necessary; cocktails and wine pairings extra. Wednesday, May 25, 6:30pm.
• Chef Andrew Curren will prepare a six-course dinner paired with offerings from California's MacPhail Family Wines at 24 Diner (600 N. Lamar). $65 a person; reserve at 472-5400. Wednesday, May 25, 7pm.