• The farm stand and spring community-supported agriculture at Green Gate Farms (8310 Canoga) open this week, and it's still not too late to sign up for CSA shares. Farm stand hours are Fridays, noon-6pm; Saturdays 10am-2pm; and Tuesdays 4-6pm. Attend a farm tour and plant sale on Saturday, March 26, 10am-1pm.
• Slow Food Austin hosts a farm tour and work day at the Urban Roots Farm (7651 Delwau). Wear appropriate clothing for gardening, and bring water to drink. A $20 donation earns you a bag of fresh organic vegetables. Saturday, March 26, 9am-noon.
• H-E-B is sponsoring great prizes in the costume category at the 34th annual Capitol 10K run this weekend. Dress up as your favorite Texas icon, fresh fruit or vegetable, or the best example of one of the store's "green initiatives" to be eligible to win gift cards. See race details at www.statesman.com/cap10k. Sunday, March 27.
• The Neill-Cochran House Museum (2310 San Gabriel) continues the Modern Times speaker series with a talk by Chronicle contributor and food historian MM Pack titled Tiny Bubbles: The Birth of Soda. Refreshments will include Dublin Dr Pepper, founded in Waco in 1885. $10 for the public, free for Friends of the Neill-Cochran House Museum. RSVP to 478-2335 or email@example.com. Sunday, March 27, 2pm.
• Southwest Bistro at the Hyatt Regency (208 Barton Springs Rd.) hosts Chef Showdown IV to benefit the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Chefs from Southwest Bistro, Fleming's, and Trace at the W will each prepare an appetizer and an entrée based on locally sourced ingredients, with the winner chosen by a panel of judges. $100 per person; make necessary reservations at 480-2035 or www.opentable.com. Thursday, March 31, 7pm.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org