VBW's Best Sweet Bites of 2010
1) Lemon-Curd Tarts from Cake & Spoon Baking Co. A perfectly puckery lemon filling encased in an incredibly flaky crust: my favorite guilty pleasure all year long.
2) Blackberry fried pie with vanilla custard ice cream at Monument Cafe These summer treats made from scratch are truly marvelous.
3) Fresh-squeezed lemonade and limeade at Monument Cafe A tart and refreshing pairing with any meal.
4) Gluten-free chocolate cake by Alain Braux at Peoples RX Celiac sufferers can rejoice because this delectable recipe alone is worth the price of his new book.
5) Joyous Almond Pie by Katy Franceschini at Faraday's Holiday Baking Contest It didn't win the contest this year, but it was my personal favorite entry.
6) Basil-lime refresco from Fête Accompli A restorative treat to sip while strolling the Downtown Farmers' Market on summer Saturday mornings.
7) Blue Heron Farm Bourbon Cajeta at Antonelli's Cheese Shop Cajeta is an absolutely fabulous complement to brownies, cakes, ice cream, or coffee; also good right from the spoon.
8) Fig and Walnut conserve from Confituras This chunky local spread married well with baked brie en croûte at holiday parties.
9) Wild Plum Jelly from Hairston Creek Farm My own plum jelly is getting better, but Sarah Rowland's wonderfully tart version is the standard to which I aspire.
10) Bourbon buttered pecan and salty caramel flavors of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams from Royal Blue Grocery These artisanal ice creams from a little Ohio company are a decadent, extravagant frozen treat.