VBW's Best Savory Bites of 2010
1) Carrot Butter at Foreign & Domestic Simple and elegant, it's the most luxurious carrot dish I've ever eaten.
2) Thunder heart Bison Potpie and Boggy Creek Farm salad Lyonnaise at Texas French Bread Hearty and filling. A winter treat for locavores.
3) Fresh asparagus from MCKemie Homegrown I feasted on these pencil-thin, tender stalks dressed with lemon butter every day for about three weeks last spring.
4) Hot biscuits with local pork sausage and cream gravy from Dai Due at the Downtown farmers' market The perfect Saturday morning breakfast, bar none.
5) HausBar Farms eggs Large, brilliant yolks and great flavor; incredibly edible.
6) Lamb picadillo nachos from Wink The tastiest savory bite at the Barr Mansion benefit last summer.
7) Bread-and-Butter Pickles I treasured a jar of these made from Chronicle colleague Kate Thornberry's heirloom family recipe: sweet, tangy, and just right on BLTs and in egg salad.
8) Scallop and Foie Gras 'Corn Dog' with kumquat ice cream from the Driskill Grill This innovative dish was my favorite thing at AMOA's La Dolce Vita festival in the fall.
9) Paella over an open fire from Alamo Drafthouse Executive Chef John Bullington cooked authentic paella over wood fires for the visiting directors at Fantastic Fest, and I was lucky enough to score a serving.
10) Pork tamales with Tex-Mex sauce from Santa Rita Tex Mex Cantina A delicious holiday treat.