• Beets Cafe (1611 W. Fifth #165, 477-2338, www.beetscafe.com) celebrates its first anniversary and expansion with a party featuring live music, complimentary food and drinks, and door prizes. Friday, Oct. 15, 6-10pm.
• Two Opal Divine's outlets host benefits this weekend. At Penn Field (3601-K S. Congress, 707-0237), Jimmy LaFave headlines a musical benefit for Malia Moore's medical expenses. A $10 donation is required at the door; kids get in free. Saturday, Oct. 16, 4pm. At Opal's Freehouse (700 W. Sixth, 477-3308), the Jigglewatts continue their Saturday burlesque review benefiting Breast Cancer Resource Centers of Central Texas. Make a $5 donation at the door, and enjoy Drink Pink specials for extra donations. Saturdays, Oct. 16, 23, & 30, 10pm.
• Sugar Mama's Bakeshop (1905 S. First, 448-3727, www.sugarmamasbakeshop.com) hosts a customer appreciation party in honor of the store's second birthday with free cupcakes, drinks, live music, and a cupcake cannon. Sunday, Oct. 17, 2-5pm.
• Satellite Bistro & Bar (5900 Slaughter #400, 288-9994, www.satellitebistroandbar.com) celebrates 11 years in business with a week of food and drink specials dating back to 1999, culminating in the bistro's AnniverSoiree. Monday-Saturday, Oct. 18-23.
• The monthly Wine Me Dine Me dinner series continues at Cafe Josie (1200-B W. Sixth, 322-9226) with wines from Oregon's Argyle Winery. $75 all inclusive. Make necessary reservations at email@example.com. Tuesday, Oct. 19, 6pm.
• Chef Bob Hauser presents his monthly cooking class at Cannoli Joe's (4715 Hwy. 290 W., 892-4444). $35 for appetizers, a three-course meal, recipes, and wine pairings. Make necessary reservations at www.cannolijoes.com. Wednesday, Oct. 20, 6:30-8:30pm.
• Enjoy another Grillin' & Chillin' event featuring cocktails and crustaceans on the patio at the Paggi House (200 Lee Barton Dr., 473-3700, www.paggihouse.com). $35, reservations necessary. Wednesday, Oct. 20, 6:30pm.
• Lavaca Street Bar (405 Lavaca, 469-0106) commemorates 21 years in business with a Las Vegas-themed party featuring games, food and drinks, an Elvis impersonator, and a costume contest. Thursday, Oct. 21, 8pm.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org