By Virginia B. Wood, Fri., April 16, 2010
• Chef Andrew Brooks will present workshops on preparing organic fruits and vegetables found in the local boxes delivered by Greenling at Faraday's Kitchen Store (1501-A RR 620 N., 266-5666, www.faradayskitchenstore.com). $8 per person. Call to reserve for one of three seatings. Saturday, April 17, 9:30am, 11:15am, 1pm.
• Both locations of Hyde Park Bar & Grill (4206 Duval St., 458-3168; 4521 West Gate Blvd., 899-2700) will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Earth Day with specials on Trinity Oaks wines, April 17-23; the winery will plant a tree for every bottle of wine sold. The restaurants will also donate a portion of Earth Day (April 22) sales revenue to American Forests, which will plant a tree for each dollar donated.
• Local coffee vendors and baristas will want to attend a seminar sponsored by Casa Brasil at Marchesa Hall (6406 N. I-35 #3100) where industry professionals such as Flávio Meira Borém will discuss how to improve your beverage program. More info at 407-9887 or email@example.com. Tuesday, April 20.
• Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill (1110 W. Sixth, 478-5355, www.ztejas.com) hosts a five-course wine dinner paired with California wines. $60 per person, all inclusive; reservations are necessary. Tuesday, April 20, 7pm.
• The Garden Party at the Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum (605 Robert E. Lee, 445-5582) is one of the loveliest outdoor parties of the year, with wines, food samples from local restaurants, shopping at both the silent and Celebrity Seeds auctions, and dancing under the stars to the Nash Hernandez Orchestra. $100 in advance; $115 at the door. For more, call 462-6050 or visit www.umlaufsculpture.org. Thursday, April 22, 6-10pm.