• The Texas Culinary Academy (11400 Burnet Rd. #2100, 837-2665, www.tca.edu) hosts its eighth annual Gingerbread House Competition and Open House. The contest is open to everyone from kids to professionals. Entries must be delivered to TCA on Friday, Dec. 11 between 8am and 5pm; they will be judged on "overall appearance, creativity, difficulty, execution and consistency of theme." Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third places during the open house on Saturday, and the winning houses will remain on display through Dec. 16. Saturday, Dec. 12, 11am-2pm.
• The Jewish Community Association invites you to celebrate Chanukah in the Hood at Central Market (4001 N. Lamar, 206-1000). Festivities will include holiday decorations, musical presentations by choirs from area temples and synagogues, the lighting of the first menorah candle, and a toy drive to benefit children in the Austin State Hospital. Sunday, Dec. 13, 2-4pm.
• Get some great ideas for holiday wines and Champagne cocktails at a complimentary tasting at Twin Liquors (1000 E. 41st, 451-7400). Tuesday, Dec. 15, 4:30-7:30pm.
• Women in wine encourage you to celebrate the holidays with them at a multicourse wine dinner presented by Hudson's on the Bend (3509 RR 620 N., 266-1369). $75 per person, reservations necessary. Tuesday, Dec. 15, 7pm.
• Saks Fifth Avenue (9722 Great Hills Trail, 231-3700) hosts an evening of shopping with a raffle, celebrity fashion show, free appetizers by County Line and Cannoli Joe's, and wine and Champagne courtesy of Twin Liquors. In addition to the raffle proceeds, Saks will donate 5% of the evening's sales to the Wright House Wellness Center. Thursday, Dec. 17, 6-8pm.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org