• The Austin Farmers' Market (Republic Square Park, Fourth & Guadalupe) hosts a cook-off between chef Alma Alcocer-Thomas and food writer Laura Kelso to promote a ticket giveaway for the upcoming film Julie & Julia, about a blogger who cooks her way through Julia Child's iconic first book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Saturday, July 25, 10am.
• Chef/nutritherapist Alain Braux presents a class on gluten-free baking at the Whole Foods Culinary Center (Fifth & Bowie). Cost is $65 per person. Make necessary reservations at 542-2340 or www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lamar-culinarycenter. Saturday, July 25, 10am-1pm.
• Hosteria Verde Supper Club (www.hosteriaverde.com) chef John Cain will prepare a Mexican feast to benefit Mexic-Arte Museum (419 Congress, 480-9373, www.mexic-artemuseum.org) in its 25th successful year. A complimentary cocktail hour will be presented by Republic Tequila. Tickets are $65, and reservations are required. Saturday, July 25, 7pm.
• Executive Chef Virginia Morgan of Borboleta Gourmet (in the Bella Salon & Day Spa building at 1221 W. Sixth, 828-7404, www.borboletagourmet.com) presents a noncooking class for raw-foods enthusiasts. The $120 cost includes all materials and recipes, and reservations are necessary. Sunday, July 26, noon-4pm.
• Enjoy an evening of fine Italian wine and food pairings at Andiamo Ristorante (2521 Rutland, 719-3377, www.andiamoitaliano.com) under the direction of sommelier Pier Manna. $40 per person; reservations are necessary. Tuesday, July 28, 7pm.
• The Berry Fairy (Houston food blogger Jenny Wang) brings a Miracle Berry Flavor Tripping party to the Belmont (305 W. Sixth). Guests get one miracle berry and a "bacchanalian banquet of foods specially selected for the flavor tripping." Tito's Vodka will sponsor a "mad-mixologist vodka bar for guests to create their own taste-defying tonics." Tickets are $40 through PayPal at www.theberryfairy.com, and reservations are strongly suggested. Wednesday, July 29, 6-8pm.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org