Feb. 27-March 5
• Art Alliance Austin presents a chauffeured ramble stopping at each Art Night Austin gallery or museum that is paired with a talented local chef and a Select wine. The benefit ticket price is $75. Afterparty tickets are $25. See a complete list of participating venues and chefs or order tickets online at www.artallianceaustin.com. Saturday, Feb. 28, 6:30-10pm; afterparty, 9:30pm-12mid.
• The nine wineries along Highway 290 West are celebrating the end of winter with Cajun food and good Texas wines. The Rajin' Cajun begins at Texas Hills Vineyard (878 RR 2766, Johnson City, 830/868-2321, www.texashillsvineyard.com) and proceeds west for 45 miles. Each winery is paired with a Hill Country restaurant, which will present a classic Cajun dish along with samples of its wines. Get a map at www.wineroad290.com. Saturday, Feb. 28, 10am-5pm.
• Capital Confectioners' fifth annual That Takes the Cake Sugar Art Show & Cake Competition is this weekend at the Crockett Event Center (10601 N. Lamar). There will be on-site decorator competitions; demonstrations by internationally known sugar artists; a Saturday dinner gala with celebrity demonstrations by Bronwen Weber, Nicholas Lodge, and Jacquy Pfeiffer; miniclasses given by guest instructors; a cake-viewing gallery; and classes conducted by celebrities. Daily tickets ($7) and weekend passes ($10) are available, and the donation of one nonperishable food item for the Capital Area Food Bank knocks off $1. Get more info and a complete schedule at www.thattakesthecake.org, or call All in One Bake Shop at 371-3401. Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 28-March 1.
• Citizen Gardeners present their Spring 2009 Planting Series over the next few days. Three seminars will cover everything from raised-bed construction and crop selection to composting, mulching, and irrigation. The series costs $50, but participants can receive class credit for documented volunteer hours in a local garden. For a complete schedule and to register, go to www.citizengardener.ning.com. Feb. 28-March 4: Saturday, 8:30am-12:30pm; Sunday, 1-4:30pm; Wednesday, 6-8:30pm.
• After his appearance at the Sugar Art Show, famed New York pâtissier/chocolatier/instructor Jacquy Pfeiffer will present a two-day master class in French pastry at the Culinary Academy of Austin (6020-B Dillard Circle, 451-5743, www.culinaryacademyofaustin.com). The $500 class is geared toward professional and accomplished amateur bakers and will include some hands-on and some demonstration classes. For more info and to register, see www.allinonebakeshop.com. Monday-Wednesday, March 2-4.
Sign up for the Chronicle Cooking newsletter
If you want to submit a recipe, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org