I am a 14-year veteran of Yellow Cab and welcome fair competition because it makes me smarter, stronger, and better ["Crash Course
," News, Aug. 7].
To be a cab driver I must:
1) Pass a 10-year criminal background check (fingerprint) through the DPS and FBI databases. … Uber? Nope.
2) Provide a three-year certified driving record to prove I've had no accidents or moving violation. … Uber? Nope.
3) Pass a city test proving I can navigate the city. … Uber? Nope.
4) My cab is inspected by the state once a year and six months later by the city (more stringent). … Uber? Nope.
5) My rates are set by the city. … Uber? Nope.
What say you, Austin? Fair or foul? Please contact your Council member with your thoughts. Pro bono consults welcome.