Roller Derby Update 1/16/11
Local leagues prep for big seasons
By Richard Whittaker,
12:04AM, Sun. Jan. 16, 2011
Pull on your gaskets and tighten your bearings: The 2011 Roller Derby season is bearing down like an enraged pack.
– The big news for the season is that the local flat-track league is moving to the Austin Convention Center for the 2011 season. Here's the full schedule:
Sun. Feb. 20Yup, you saw that right: For the first time, the Texas Rollergirls will hold regular-season bouts on Saturdays. Also note, to make the events more accessible to families, Sunday bouts will be doors 4pm, first whistle 5pm: Saturday bouts will be 6pm (doors 5pm). Season tickets, individual tickets, and VIP smack packs are available now.
Sun. March 27
Sun. April 17
Sun. May 15
Sat. June 11
Sat. July 16
Sat. August 6
– The annual Whammy awards are winding down (or just heating up) as I write this. Veteran Texecutioner and newly minted Hustler Belle Starr swept the board, while The Angie-Christ is the 2010 Miss Texas Rollergirl.
– Many people yell loudly at Roller Derby bouts. Some of them get to have a microphone while they do it. TXRG are looking for new blood to join their announcer team, and are holding auditions for new color commentators to work with their play-by-play team. Derby experience (either as a skater or audience member) is a plus. The tryouts are scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 18, 6-10pm: E-mail ChipQueso@gmail.com for more details.
TXRD Lonestar Rollergirls
– The local banked-track league has its own milestone this month: On Jan. 30, they begin their 10th anniversary season. This first bout is the ultimate pick-up game as the All-Scar Army versus the United Skates Navy. The regular season begins on Feb. 20, when the Holy Rollers face the Rhinestone Cowgirls.
Here's the full season schedule:
Jan. 30 All-Scar Army vs. United Skates NavyAll events at Palmer Events Center, except the championship which returns to the Austin Convention Center.
Feb. 20 Holy Rollers vs. Rhinestone Cowgirls
March 12 Putas Del Fuego vs. Hellcats
April 10 Cherry Bombs vs. Holy Rollers
May 14 Rhinestone Cowgirls vs. Hellcats Doors
May 28 Putas Del Fuego vs. Cherry Bombs
June 25 Holy Rollers vs. Hellcats Doors
July 9 Putas Del Fuego vs. Rhinestone Cowgirls
July 23 Hellcats vs. Cherry Bombs
Aug. 6 Putas Del Fuego vs. Holy Rollers
Aug. 27 Cherry Bombs vs. Rhinestones
Oct. 1 Playoffs
Oct. 15 Cavello Cup Championship
– The TXRG travel team the Texecutioners will get chance to knock off any rink rust with the Governor's Cup. The Texies will be hoping for their fifth consecutive victory at the invitational tournament: Hoping to knock them off are co-hosts Houston Roller Derby and Beaumont's Spindletop Rollergirls, San Antonio's Alamo City Rollergirls, and the double-whammy from the Big D, the Assassination City Rollergirls and the Dallas Derby Devils, plus special guests the Big Easy Rollergirls from New Orleans.
The two-day single elimination tournament takes place at the Ford Park Arena in Beaumont, Feb. 12-13. Tickets available now.
– Slight delay on the long-awaited Roller Derby video game: Jam City Rollergirls for the Wii has been pushed back to Jan. 24.
– The Women's Flat Track Derby Association has announced the 12 latest leagues to join its apprentice program. Continuing the global expansion, the new leagues include the Gent Go Go Rollergirls from Belgium (who join fellow European apprentices the Auld Reekie Roller Girls of Edinburgh and Berlin's Bear City Roller Derby) and the first Australian apprentice league, Victorian Roller Derby. Read the full list here.
– And, finally, there's an actual reason to watch CSI: Miami: Tonight's episode had a derby-related plot. This means the Florida forensic drama joins CSI: New York, Psych, and Phineas and Ferb in bringing derby to the small screen. The episode debuts Sun. Jan. 15, 9pm Central on CBS.
Richard Whittaker, April 11, 2015
Richard Whittaker, July 13, 2014
Dec. 2, 2022
Dec. 1, 2022
WFTDA, Women's Flat Track Derby Association, Alamo Rollergirls, Assassination City Rollergirls, Big Easy Rollergirls, Dallas Derby Devils, Houston Roller Derby, Spindletop Rollergirls, Gent Go Go Rollergirls, Auld Reekie Roller Girls, Bear City Roller