Roller Derby Update: 8/7/10
Putas vs Hellcats and traveling Texecutioners
By Richard Whittaker,
12:56AM, Sat. Aug. 7, 2010
Just because it's hot enough to melt the wheels off a set of skates outside at the moment, that doesn't mean there's no Roller Derby going on in Austin this weekend.
– First up, the Lonestar Rollergirls. It's a banked track bout night this Saturday, August 7 as the Putas del Fuego go up against the Hellcats. The Putas will be looking to put the hurt on the reigning Calvello Cup holders tonight at the Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs (doors 6pm, whistle 7pm.) Tickets available now.
– Not that the flat track Texas Rollergirls are taking the weekend off. They'll be holding a fund-raising car wash on Saturday, August 7 at Cheapo Discs (914 N. Lamar) from 11.30am 'til the suds run out.
– The Texecutioners will be needing that travel kitty soon enough. The Women's Flat Track Derby Association has announced rankings for the 2010 regional qualifying tournaments. The Texies will be heading to Amber Waves of Pain, the South Central regionals in Lincoln, Neb., Oct. 8-10, as the top ranked team in the region.
– Don't panic about having to head out of state for your flat track fix for the rest of the year. On August 15, several Texas Rollergirls will be heading to San Antonio for an impromptu game with the Alamo City Rollergirls. It will be an all-star affair, with skaters from Assassination City, Houston and Dallas joining the fun.
– Local film maker Bob Ray is still on the road with his Down and Dirty Austin Film Tour, which includes screenings of the definitive documentary about the early days of modern roller derby, Hell on Wheels. Ray kicked off the tour in Austin and returns for another screening of his new film Total Badass on August 19 at Alamo South Lamar. Before then, there'll be screenings of Hell on Wheels in Phoenix, Ariz.; Las Cruces, New Mexico; and up the road in Marfa. All those screenings will be held in conjunction with local derby leagues, so if you have any friends out West, tell 'em to check out an original Austin film about an original Austin sport.