Scrubs Cast Back on Shift at ATX TV Festival
Reunion delayed from 2020 festival scheduled for this summer
By Richard Whittaker,
10:00AM, Thu. Jan. 27, 2022
OK, huddle up, newbies. ATX TV Festival (June 2-5) is being renovated as Sacred Heart Hospital, with a reunion of the cast of beloved medical comedy Scrubs.
Created by Bill Lawrence (Spin City, Ted Lasso), who was inspired by the stories of a friend of his in medical school, Scrubs launched in 2001 and ran for nine seasons on NBC and ABC. It centered around a bunch of medical students making their way from first lessons to becoming teachers themselves, and its mix of slapstick comedy and devastating pathos attracted a loyal audience and earned it 17 Emmy nominations and a Peabody Award.
ATX had originally planned this reunion for 2020, even hoping for a virtual version when the in-person event was canceled due to the pandemic. However, the return of the in-person event this year means that the cast will be back on-shift, alongside the previously announced reunions for intergenerational dramedy Parenthood and neo-western Justified.
Confirmed so far for this year's event:
• Zach Braff (John "J.D." Dorian, the awkward narrator of the series)
• Donald Faison (Christopher Turk, trainee surgeon and J.D.'s eternal and secretly nerdy best friend)
• Sarah Chalke (chronic overachiever Elliot Reid)
• Judy Reyes (Nurse Carla Espinosa, the real voice of experience)
&bull John C. McGinley (unwilling mentor Perry Cox)
• Christa Miller (Jordan, Cox's sarcastic ex-wife)
• Neil Flynn (Dr. Jan Itor)
ATX TV Festival Season 11 runs June 2-5. Passes and info available now at atxfestival.com.