RZA, NASA, and Captain America for South by Southwest
New keynotes, speakers added with days to spare
By Richard Whittaker,
10:45AM, Tue. Mar. 3, 2020
South by Southwest is only a week away, and it's still getting bigger. After announcing the world premiere of the eagerly-awaited The Green Knight and new speakers like Hillary Rodham Clinton and Adam Schiff, now the conference has added NASA, RZA, and Eric Andre.
For the latter two, it'll be an extra chance to talk about new projects they already have on the film line-up. Andre's new comedy, Bad Trip, will be getting its world premiere, but he'll be speaking in a different context - as executive producer of the latest from Spike Jonze, Beastie Boys.
And as long as we're speaking seminal rap, Wu Tang Clan chief RZA is bringing his new action flick Cut Throat City to town. Now the The Man With the Iron Fists director will join Franklin Leonard and Kate Hagen, respective founder and Director of Community for the influential Black List script appraisal site.
As for NASA, that's one of two big Convergence stream keynotes added. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine will be joined by astronauts Jasmin Moghbeli and Tyler N. “Nick” Hague to explore the future of humanity in space, while Brent Anderson, CCO of New York advertising agency TBWA Worldwide\Media Arts Lab, will give you advice on five bad habits that are stifling innovation in your firm.
And saving the best for last, yes Captain America is coming. Well, technically Chris Evans, the actor who managed to make the staid old comic character into a relevant figure again. He'll be part of a special panel discussing A Starting Point, his new nonprofit aimed at reigniting civic engagement.
So even though Facebook, Twitter, and Intel may have pulled out, here are the rest of today's high-profile additions to balance that out.
• “5 Ways You're Killing Your Creative Potential” — Keynote with Chief Creative Officer of TBWA\Media Arts Lab Brent Anderson (Convergence)
• “Are You Ready for the Future of Space Exploration?” — Keynote with NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine, astronauts Jasmin Moghbeli, Tyler N. “Nick” Hague, and CNN Business writer Jackie Wattles (Convergence)
Features Speakers and Sessions
• Comedian, actor, creator and host of Adult Swim’s hit series The Eric Andre Show, and star of Bad Trip Eric Andre has joined a conversation with Academy Award-winning filmmaker and director of Apple’s upcoming documentary feature Beastie Boys Story Spike Jonze (Making Film & Episodics)
• Performer and independent afrobeats artist Mr. Eazi has joined the Featured Session “The Path To Creative & Economic Freedom”, with CEO and Founder of Platoon Denzyl Feigelson (Future of Music)
• Entrepreneur, fashion model and Kode with Klossy founder Karlie Kloss, and SAP Global Chief Marketing Officer Alicia Tillman with CNN Newsroom co-anchor and host of the CNN podcast BossFiles, Poppy Harlow (Tech Industry & Enterprise)
• Journalist, writer, attorney and the host of MSNBC’s The Beat with Ari Melber, Ari Melber has been added to a conversation with CEO and co-founder of 300 Entertainment and author Kevin Liles (Future of Music)
• NBC News’ Today, co-host of The 3rd Hour of Today and anchor of MSNBC live Craig Melvin will be joining Oxygen’s Kim Kardashian West: The Justice Project with Kim Kardashian West, #cut50 Co-Founder and Senior Counsel Jessica Jackson along with Momolu Stewart.
• Wu-Tang Clan founding member, filmmaker and Cut Throat City director RZA has been added to “The Black List Podcast” (Film & TV Industry), co-hosted by The Black List founder Franklin Leonard and Kate Hagen.
• Entrepreneur, founder of Venture 4 America and former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang has been added to the The Privacy Project at SXSW session with New York Times Opinion writer Charlie Warzel and contributing writer Kara Swisher.
• The Big Picture Live: Movie Magic with Frank Oz and Derek DelGaudio: Ringer Editor-in-Chief Sean Fennessey sits down with filmmaker Frank Oz and writer, performer, and magician Derek DelGaudio (Making Film & Episodics).
• Climate Justice and Unlearned Lessons of the Day the Levees Broke: In this session, The Atlantic’s staff writer Vann Newkirk and CNN’s chief climate correspondent Bill Weir will share their reporting on issues of climate change, where vulnerable communities are increasingly on the frontlines. Joining the session is Aracely Jimenez of the Sunrise Movement, which mobilizes young people to take action to combat climate change (Climate & Social Action).
• A Conversation with the executive producers of Apple’s Little America with actor, writer, and producer Kumail Nanjiani; writer and producer Emily V. Gordon; Co-founder of Epic Magazine and film and television producer Joshuah Bearman in conversation with CNN anchor and host of At This Hour, Kate Bolduan (Making Film & Episodics)
• The Next Big Bets: Optimists’ Take on the Media Landscape: Hear from three leaders who are navigating a fast-changing industry with partnerships, creativity, community building — and making big bets. A conversation with Vox Media co-founder and CEO Jim Bankoff; renowned journalist turned podcast host and founder of Katie Couric Media, Katie Couric; NYU Marketing professor, founder of section4, bestselling author, and co-host of the Pivot podcast, Scott Galloway; and moderated by Hollywood Reporter editor Natalie Jarvey (Media & Journalism).
• A Starting Point: A conversation about “a new civics engagement project aimed at helping to demystify politics while bringing our elected leaders closer to the communities they represent. Hosted by the organization’s co-founders: actor/director Chris Evans; Golden Globe and Emmy-nominated filmmaker/actor Mark Kassen; media & technology entrepreneur Joe Kiani; and executive producer and host of The Tamron Hall Show, Tamron Hall (Government & Politics).
• Wondery Presents: The Success of Blood Ties and the Future of Scripted Drama: Wondery’s CEO and Founder Hernan Lopez and Chief Content Officer Marshall Lewy, and star of Blood Ties Gillian Jacobs in conversation with Hollywood Reporter Editor Natalie Jarvey (Making Film & Episodics).