Tonight’s Virtual Kiki Fosters Queer Connection
When you can’t go to the dance party, the dance party comes to you!
By Beth Sullivan,
8:20AM, Thu. Mar. 26, 2020
As everyday life has pivoted from IRL to URL in light of COVID-19, LGBTQIA space-makers have adapted to moving their events online.
Local space-makers Lesbian Wedding, Thee Gay Agenda, Y2K Technologies, p1nkstar, and DJ GirlFriend are joining forces as a collective to throw tonight’s Virtual Kiki (5-8pm; details below & on Facebook). Dubbed a “queerantine happy hour and gay ole virtual dance party,” the fête à la Zoom features performances by local and regional acts, including Vestite, Honey Baby, Quaranteeny Tiny Calliope Musicals, Baldie Lox, and Tatiana Cholula, alongside what promises to be a bangin’ live set from DJ GirlFriend.
After clubs and gigs were forced to shut down because of coronavirus precautions, the collective tells Qmmunity they still have the “energy and motivation to pivot to find ways to open space for the qmmunity.” As the collective sees it, these trying times warrant events like Virtual Kiki: “A community like ours that has been historically and contemporarily disempowered relies so much on the support from our chosen families – banding together and having each other’s backs.” The collective acknowledges that we're in some hard times. Members of the collective shared about some being rendered unemployed and filed for disaster unemployment assistance. Some have started new projects, and some are still working from home, but all working to create this space to connect Austin’s qmmunity. Now, more than ever, ensuring there are still spaces where folks can interact with and uplift each other is vital.
Without further ado, here’s how you can hit tonight’s virtual dance floor:
1. First things first, “Get the look ur serving ready & ur lighting right!”
2. Download the Zoom App or open Zoom via a web browser. Click on “Join a Meeting” at the top of the screen and enter meeting ID: 747-699-3294.
3. Mute yourself by toggling the microphone icon in the bottom left corner of your Zoom window (trust us, you’ll want to as Zoom’s microphone is *extremely* sensitive and will pick up any background noise).
4. Click “Gallery View” in the upper right corner to see thumbnails of all the other QTs dancing with you.
5. You can also enter the chat by following this link.
6. Go to Mixlr to stream DJ GirlFriend’s set live while dancing.
7. Last but not least, “Party time!!! Let's have a KIKI!! Dance how you like and have a great time! ❤”