Queer Eye Is Casting in Austin (Supposedly)
Is this your chance to receive a “make-better” from the Fab Five?
By Beth Sullivan,
2:45PM, Tue. Dec. 17, 2019
Know somebody in Austin who could benefit from a French tuck or two? Well, we’ve got good news for you: Queer Eye is coming to Austin … maybe.
According to an email sent out by the Austin Justice Coalition on Tue., Dec. 17, AJC was “recently contacted” by Queer Eye to nominate individuals for a chance to appear on the popular Netflix reality makeover show. “Although we have our ideas on who QE should pick,” the email reads, “they also want to hear from the community.”
It then quotes an unattributed source: "Specifically, we're looking for deserving people, couples, families, friends, and coworkers within a ninety-minute radius of Austin who could truly benefit from a "make-better" from our Fab 5.” In a followup email to the Chronicle, AJC’s Executive Director Chas Moore told us the org has been in “direct contact” with one of the show’s producers.
Last week, Spectrum News reported that several fans received casting flyers at Jonathan Van Ness’ Road to Beijing stand-up comedy show at ACL Live on Dec. 5. For now, neither Netflix nor show officials have confirmed if Queer Eye – featuring the so-called Fab Five: Van Ness (Grooming), Tan France (Fashion), Antoni Porowski (Food), and native Texans Bobby Berk (Interior Design) and Karamo Brown (Culture) – plans to shoot in the music capital of the world. (We’ll update this story as we learn more.)
But according to AJC, it seems Queer Eye wants to hear from you if you have a “sibling, parent, spouse, colleague, or a dear friend, if you know a truly deserving person (or couple or small group of people) with a compelling story." Did a name just come to you? If so, the email instructs interested applicants – or nominations – should email firstname.lastname@example.org with the completed questionnaire (below), along with photos, stories.
Queer Eye Questionnaire
1. Full names and ages of both the nominator and hero
2. Current City/State for both the nominator and hero
3. Recent photos for both the nominator and hero
4. Phone Number and Email addresses for the nominator
5. Background information on how you know your hero!
6. Please provide us with a brief description of your heroes story. (Ex - What is their current situation? What do they do for a living? Do they have children, a spouse, etc?)
7. How could your hero use help in the following categories:- Food- Fashion- Culture- Interior design- Grooming
8. Any important events coming up in your hero's life that they need to prepare for?
9. Why NOW is it so important that your hero gets help from the Fab 5? What is at stake for them?
10. Links to social media for both the nominator and hero (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube).”
A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austin’s independent news source for over 40 years, expressing the community’s political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands.