Austin Honors Selena
Remembering Preciosa in CenTex and beyond
By Kate X Messer,
10:30AM, Fri. Apr. 10, 2015
As South Texas prepares for its inaugural Fiesta de la Flor Selena music festival, Austinites are readying their own tributes to the Queen of Tejano.
• FUSEBOX: PURO CHINGON PRESENTS SELENA Tonight, Puro Chingon Collective presents an interactive screening of the Gregory Nava classic, Selena as their contribution to the Fusebox Festival. LOCATION CHANGE: Due to rain, there's been a move from the outdoor tanks at thinkEAST to the indoor bleachers at the Off Center on Hidalgo, off E. Seventh. Puro Chingon will provide movie favors like they do (white roses, perhaps, and lots of other goodies) and fill up your Selena brain banks with trivia and not-so-trivial recuerdos of the Queen of Tex-Mex, Tejano, and our hearts. Fri., April 10, 8pm. The Off Center, 2211-A Hidalgo, 512/476-7833. Free. purochingoncollective.bigcartel.com.
• ANNUAL TUEZGAYZ SELENA TRIBUTE Austin's Tuezgayz mistress/master, la Glitoris is no Juannay-come-lately. She's always loved our queen with this annual tribute night. Get sweaty with the Tuezgayz gang for little devotionals on the hour (11pm, 12mid, and 1am). Tue., April 14, 10pm-2am. Barbarella, 615 Red River, 512/476-7766. $5. www.fb.com/tuezgayz.
• SAN ANTONIO THURZGAYZ SELENA TRIBUTE Same love, different day (and different city). La Glit brings the party to San Antonio two nights after the Austin evening and also featuring little devotionals on the hour (11pm, 12mid, and 1am). Thu., April 16, 10pm-2am. Brass Monkey, 2702 N. St. Mary, San Antonio, 210/480-4722. Free.
• SELENA'S BIRTHDAY WITH BIDI BIDI BANDA Stephanie Bergara, her big red lips, and this all-star cumbia (and then some) combo will make you feel like 1995 never happened and all is well with the world. ¡Siempre Selena! Sadly, this event is SOLD OUT. (See if any of your fellow devotees grabbed a couple of tickets and will share one with you. And in the meanwhile, go to Bidi Bidi Banda's Facebook page and Like it to keep up with their schedule.) Thu., April 16, 9pm. Austin Beer Garden Brewing Co., 1305 W. Oltorf edit, 512/298-2242. www.fb.com/bidibidibanda.
And for those still considering the road trip to Corpus Christi:
• FIESTA DE LA FLOR. The Selena Festival we've been waiting for (two decades, actually), with enough Grammy winners to be heard in heaven. Planners estimate a crowd of over 50,000 over the two-day, Bayfront fest. Corpus Christi hotels are SOLD OUT, so call friends with couches to crash on or plan to stay out a little further. Fri.-Sat., April 17-18. Corpus Christi. $5, seriously, $5; $2 ages 5-12, under 5 are free. www.fiestadelaflor.com.
For nearby accommodations, consider Port Aransas 800/45-COAST.
Kate X Messer, April 20, 2015
Kate X Messer, Jan. 29, 2015
Jan. 20, 2016
Jan. 15, 2016
Selena Festival, Selena Tribute, Puro Chingon, Bidi Bidi Banda, Tuezgayz, Thurzgayz, Fiesta de la Flor, Como la Flor, Selena, Selena Quinanilla, Corpus Christi, A.B. Qunitanilla, Chris Perez, Los Lobos