Come Out for OUTober
Austin celebrates LGBT History/Coming Out Month, big time, citywide
By Kali Daryl Robinson,
8:45AM, Wed. Oct. 1, 2014
Austin is celebrating OUTober with the start of some new, colorful, traditions. In honor of LGBT History Month, Austin will display the Pride Flag across City Hall for the first time ever. Join the city and PFLAG in an array of events happening throughout the month.
Tomorrow, Thursday, October 2, at 9am, city Councilmember Laura Morrison will deliver a proclamation to shed light – we hope rainbow-colored – on the importance of this month on the First Floor of the Travis County Commissioners Court.
Just make sure that today, Wednesday, October 1, you make it to the City Hall Plaza by 11am to see Austin’s true colors publicly revealed. The PFLAG Austin will begin the festivities by unveiling the rainbow flag that will remain up for a week in celebration of National Coming Out Day.
Keep up with the Gay Place for more details and check for updates throughout the month in the Gay Place calendar listings. Most events (unless marked "fundraiser" or held in a commercial facility) are free.
• Wed., Oct. 1, 11am LGBTQ Pride Flag Unveiling with dignitaries, community awards, and more. City Hall Plaza
• Thu., Oct. 2, 9:30am LGBT History Month Proclamation Travis County Commissioners Court, First floor
• Mon., Oct. 6, 6:30pm Open Mic Coming Out Story-Slam Cherrywood Coffeehouse
• Thu., Oct., 9pm Priscilla Queen of the Desert Movie Fundraiser Dress up and sing a-long. Alamo Drafthouse Village (Tickets on sale online, soon.) www.advocatesforyouth.org
• Sat., Oct 11, 6pm Fringe & Fishnets Fundraiser Hosted by The United Court of Austin, benefiting PFLAG Austin. Oilcan Harry’s
• Sun., Oct. 12, 2pm Dealing With the Trauma of Coming Out LGBTQ therapists’ stories and educational seminar. AIDS Services of Austin. Hosted by Waterloo Counseling Center.
• Sun., Oct. 12, 6pm Teen Coming Out Story-Slam Out Youth, for LGBTQIA teens, ages 12-19 ONLY
• Thu., Oct. 16, 10:30-11:30am Out of the Past Learn about LGBTQ history with an Austin twist with historian Scott Hoffman. Carver Library, Room #2
• Fri., Oct. 17, 6:30pm Women’s Coming Out Story-Slam BookWoman
• Sun., Oct. 19, 6-8pm Men’s Coming Out Story-Slam Chain Drive
• Wed., Oct. 22, 6:30pm Trans Coming Out Story-Slam Spider House Patio Stage
• Thu., Oct. 23, 10:30am Health Disparities in LGBT Populations Carver Library, Room #2
• Sat., Oct. 25, 4pm Queer Zombies Pub Crawl Fundraiser Downtown
• Thu., Oct. 30, 10:30am Recruiting You City Hall
See you out for OUTober, and see more coverage as it develops at The Gay Place.