Last Minute Pride Bits
Austin Pride 2013 is in full gear. Here are the updates
By Kate X Messer,
2:22PM, Fri. Sep. 6, 2013
Back in 2003, when things (ahhhhh~BUUUUSSSSSSSH!) seemed bleak for the queers, I wrote about why Austin Pride matters. Despite our advances, the monsters are always lurking and looking for ways to turn back time. So I think these words from a decade ago still apply today:
"People, be proud. Proud of who you are, proud of who you love and how you choose to show it. This week, diligently manifest the best of who you are. If 'they' insist on defining 'us' by sex acts, then by God, let’s commit them all over the place this weekend. And friends, if you think I am only speaking to those who currently identify as LGBTQ, you are mistaken. This is for our allies, our future brothers and sisters, the questioning, and simply for the compassionate."
There is so much going on at this year's Pride, that we can't … wait for it … wait for it … SEE STRAIGHT. Click this link to see what we have in print in this week's edition about the weekend's remaining events.
Here's what we know last minute about the rest of Austin Pride Week 2013 line-up:
• TICKETS TO THE FEST ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE ONLINE. THEY ARE AVAILABLE AT THE GATE AT FIESTA GARDENS TOMORROW.
• ALL BOOTHS, SPONSOR OPPORTUNITIES, PARADE ENTRIES, VENDOR SLOTS, ETC. ARE SOLD OUT OR CLOSED
• ALL SLATED ACTS AT TOMORROW'S FESTIVAL ARE STILL ON LIKE DONKEY KONG
• TONIGHT'S WERK! Fashion Show EVENT IS SOLD OUT
• THE ANTICIPATED CROWDS AT ALL REMAINING OPEN EVENTS ARE HUGE: THE RUN, THE FEST, THE PARADE: HYDRATE AND GET WHERE YOU NEED TO BE EARLY
• YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.
For grins, here are some recaps by Us Truly (the Gay Place Krewesters):
Double Duchess plays tonight and at the fest tomorrow.
And so do style cuties Hi Fashion.
Well, we hope we see you out there! We hope you don't miss out. Here are some words from the Gay Place Krewe about last year's Pride for anyone who missed it in 2012.
Look for us hanging out at the AGLCC booth, hopefully handing you a copy of the sweet little publication we do in collaboration with them, The Agenda, and rolling as part of their contingent in the parade. We will be the ones with the beads and MoonPies. As per usual.
Happy Pride, y'all!